Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to unload a 20' storage container?

How to unload a 20\' storage container?

Any ideas? Anyone done it? I need to figure out a way to unload a 20' metal storage container from a trailer. 4 miles of narrow dirt road... I'm unable to find a company willing to deliever. I got a flatbed trailer that can handle the weight and don't think I have any problem getting it to my land. The company sells the container will load it on the trailer with their fork lift. The only problem I have is unloading it. I don't have a fork lift. The container weights about 4000 lbs. What do you think? Am I asking for trouble? Thanks for any sugguestions.

Re: How to unload a 20\' storage container?

What kind of storage container.
    What is the construction of it like.
    Is this one of those cargo containers like used on cargo ships?
    Load it on your trailer and take it to a welding shop.
    Have one of these welded on each corner.
    Weld them up a little higher than a bottle jack is tall.

Then use bottle jacks at each corner to lift it off the trailor.
    bring the trailor out from under it, and lower it to the ground.
    You will probably have to start with the bottle jacks on blocks,
    then lower the container onto blocks, then lower the jacks,
    the lower the container onto blocks again, repeat this process
    until the storage container is on the ground.

We used to do this to remove heavy truck beds off trucks.

Basically it is the same process as removing a camper cover from a pickup truck, only it is heavier.

Pooh Bear

Put a few pieces of pipe under the container before loading onto your trailer. Make sure it's tied down real good and drive very slow. When at location drag it off the trailer. The pipes act as rollers.

This will only work if the bottom of the container can fit over the pipes and you do a <font color="red"> </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Really Good

[/ QUOTE ] </font color> job of chaining it down.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

There is NO WAY that I would haul it with pipe under the container. Depending on the length of the container, place 4X4's across the trailer deck (about 1 every 10') set the container on it and chain it down good. This leaves you room to get a jack (toe jack is ideal, but if you don't have one check around about renting one) under each side to lift the back end. Remove the 4X4 and then replace with a pipe, continue until all 4x4's are replaced and roll the container off the back of the trailer. (Better be in the place that you want it!) I would also place the 4x4's on the ground where you are setting it to allow for jacking and leveling if need be.

Cargo container made of steel. The type used on oversea cargo ships. The dimension is 20' x 8' x 8'. The support is on the 4 corners. I need to tow it from Long Beach, CA (~300 miles away) so it has to sit flush on the trailer bed and tie down really really really good... I can back the trailer to exactly where I want to place the container. Which method is better?

1. Lift the container up and pull the trailer out then safely lower the container. It's 8' wide trailer so the container will be flush with the edge.

...or slide it off the back of the trailer. Still need to jack it up and place pipes under.

Looks like this:

For that haul distance the use of rollers under the container is a definet no no. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [ I goofed]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I have 2 of the 20ft sea/rail/road type shipping containers and I rented a forklift to unload them from the flatbed that delivered them (while chockablock full and quite heavy.) There are really good fork pockets in the sides at the bottom. You will have needed to have ballanced the load well enough to allow the forklift to accomodate your CG without exceeding the limits of safety for the combination of the load and the lift.

You can use that nice trailer of yours to to fetch the forklift and return it when done.

At one point I considered buying/renting some of the axles and wheels that are used to move manufactured housing and attach them under the containers and add a trailer tongue in front to move a container about 1/4 mile or so and then remove the wheels and reuse them for the other container but decided not to do it.

I think renting a large enough forklift is the safe and sane way to proceed, especially if the containers are loaded. If they are loaded I would not jack them up any farther in the air on suports without really sufficient lateral bracing than I would like to have them fall while twisting either clock or counter clockwise.

Been there, done that, still don't know what started the rotary motion for sure but it was not fun to watch or be near. Luckily I could repair the damage to the sides of the load. It was a large cab over camper with lifting jacks designed to handle it and still it went awry.

Good luck and have someone stand by with a camcorder in case you try the jacking it up routine. That way you can sell the video to one of the funny video TV shows to recoup part of your loss.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Tie it to something and drive off! I used to PU and deliver them with a 48' Landall tilt flat bed semi trailer. I have bounced them all over the place trying to get them into or out of the place they were put. You could probably drop it 10' without damage. The only consideration would be to make sure the doors are locked shut. If you don't do that they could rack and be a PITA to open and close.
    I have a 20'er and they are perfect storage. If you get 2 you can space them apart and put a roofover for a great carport.
    Those containers are built to be stacked 8 high and have extreme engineering built in.
    If you don't mind my asking what are they selling for? I saw on TV that China sends 10 over loaded and only 2 go back loaded. The rest are pilling up in the US. The story was about Calif. cities passing regs about storage yards and height they could be stacked because they were blocking out the sun for neighbors.

If it is empty I'd probably try the tie it down and drive away from it scenario. If there were something overhead to tie a line to you could soften the fall but probably not really neccessary. My two were really heavy and had stuff I didn't want to hurt in them so a forklift was a good choice. Big forklift! $500 for a half day minimum and no mileage charge. They had to come 50-60 miles one way.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Those containers are built to be stacked 8 high and have extreme engineering built in.
    If you don't mind my asking what are they selling for? I saw on TV that China sends 10 over loaded and only 2 go back loaded. The rest are pilling up in the US. The story was about Calif. cities passing regs about storage yards and height they could be stacked because they were blocking out the sun for neighbors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this site.

Container Marketing
    My friends just call me Mad.