Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting a smoker...

Thinking about getting a smoker...

I am thinking about getting a smoker but what should I look for in one. I plan to smoke bluefish, beef and pork.

What is a big green egg? That's what my wife wanted to get.

Steve

Re: Thinking about getting a smoker...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I am thinking about getting a smoker but what should I look for in one. I plan to smoke bluefish, beef and pork.

What is a big green egg? That's what my wife wanted to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Big Green Egg is one kind of smoker. I've never used one or seen one used, but have read good things about them.

Now there are those who claim you cannot properly smoke meats in a gas powered rig, but our next door neighbors received one of these Great Outdoors smokers from Walmart for Christmas. They were entirely new to smokers, but have done some mighty fine pork in it.

It's been nearly 18 years since I had my Cookin' Cajun charcoal smoker, but I used to smoke a lot of fish and occasionally oysters, as well as beef briskets and liked it.

As for what to look for . . . look for one large enough to hold as much food as you want to smoke at one time. A thermometer is handy because you want to keep a fairly constant temperature. You also want to be able to control the temperature (I used an electric Cookin' Cajun very briefly - no way to control the temperature properly and it was just too hot). I like water smokers and you need to be able to add water to the pan. If you're using wood, you'll probably need to be able to add wood while it's cooking.

Hopefully, this will get you started.

I've used one of These with great success. A little pricier then some, but it's stainless and should last the rest of your life. Buy the insulating jacket if you'll be using it in the winter.

This one looks nice too!

Bradley Smoker
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, That smoker ad makes a big deal about being able to set the temp up to 320 degrees but never mentions the setabillity at the low end of the range or what the low end of its range is. Any ideas?

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Here is a good old fashined combination wood fired barbaque and smoker. Made from ordinary bricks.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I picked up a propane smoker from Rural King for $149.00. It is the type that looks like a gun cabinet on legs. They sell them at Walmart for the same price. You can easily control temperature down to 215 degrees, which allows slow smoking for a longer period. I keep mine at 220 degrees when slow smoking a pork butt for 16 to 18 hours. It works great.

A guy I have been running cattle with and logging cedars for the mill has an old propane tank he is making a combination smoker-BBQ rig out of. It looks to be about 100 gal size or maybe larger. He has a bull riding arena and he intends to use the cooker as an adjunct to the snack bar operation as well as for his personal use. HMMMM, I wonder if he will be serving the bulls that prove to be too easy????

The bulls only get exercised 8 seconds (or less) at a time so they shouldn't be toooooo tough!

Patrick [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hey Steve
    I just purchased a Big Green Egg.
    Its kinda pricey; however It does a darn good job smoking and grilling.
    If you enjoy cooking outdoors check out the Big Green Egg website.
    Very Interesting.

Any advice or comments about "cold" smokers. I was thinking of making one.

Pat