Thread: Adirondack Lawn Chairs

Adirondack Lawn Chairs

I was going to ask if anyone had a good plan for a Adirondack chair. However with little effort I found this site that offered free plans on several types.
    This site also offers plans to many more projects as well...

Free wood working plans

I think these chairs bring a certain elegance to a persons home, not to mention memories from child hood at grandma's... LOL [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Personally I'm so tired of these store bought plastic or mfg chairs that can hardly seat me @190lbs, when I have friends that hit the 250-275 range.

Re: Adirondack Lawn Chairs

Andy, You can surely make some stout Adirondac chairs that will last a good long timne and not cost all that much BUT did you ever find one that was comfortable for over 30 min or that you could get up from easily? Here here, what a guy, looking after his freinds. I can appreciate that as I weigh 250 right now.

I was thinking of making some but my wife asked those two questioins. We'd need GOOD cushions and maybe a mulltipart tackle tied to an overhead strong point to get up after being there for a while. I have been to that site and others. There is just a lot of plans out there.

You the man, do what you want. I suggest at least galvanized screws (not just plated) or weather rated fasteners like for decks as you probably aren't bringing them in out of the weather. YOiu can paint to get better longevity of most woods but weather resistant species or treated wood is not a bod idea.

What happens to painted construction lumber chairs is the paint preserves all of the chair but the end grain where it may contact the soil and wick water.

I do wonder if the people saying how comfortable these chairs are are saying that because they have read it and it sounds nice or because they spent significant time in one and likekd it? I have seen these sort of chairs with wheels on the one end only. The wheels do not support the chair in use but if you pick up the non-wheeled end of the chair then the wheels at the other end engage the ground and make it much easier to move them. These things can be pretty heavy, especially thte double ones which could help you fill that unfilled requirement you told me about.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Well Pat my friend here is the deal...
    While I agree that your basic flat board chairs aren't that comfortable... a contoured chair would.
    I'm going to eventually attempt to make a pair, however I will be using the basic design, the legs height and the angle of the seating will be altered and well as contoured. I've also though about using 2 by 6's for the base (legs) for better support for you healthier guys [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Like the Japanese, I am able to take your basic idea and improve upon it. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Far out Andy, I'm not sure about healthier, I could stand to lose a few (or more than a few) pounds. Nothing wrong with a good evolutionary approach, improve the breed. Maybe after you do the contour mod and test it out and think you have arrived, you'd share it with the rest of us.

The main part of the chair is the wide armrest that one can place numerous items on! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Bronze screws and epoxy for assembly.

For contour are there not some foams that have a memory? Or make a base model, lay on some creek clay and then sit on it. Let the clay dry, make a plaster of paris mould to work from and you have a personal chair.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, You said you were only 40 years behind the times and then suggest Bronze!!!

Hot dipped galvanized will outlive us. Stainless might even be cheaper than bronze. Epoxy is good for outdoor stuff but the urethanes are super waterproof too and not a two part mixing short pot life problem. Just about as hard to get off your hands though.

You could go with thte West system of epoxy saturation and have a generational chair that will last through generations even if frequently inundated by water or often tossed in the pool.

About those large armrests... Theuy are tilted and many of those items to which you refer may tend to fall off.

Brass -- Bronze they are somewhat similar! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The diff between brass and bronze was not my point. I was recalling your comment aboiut being 40 years behind and thought how the BRONZE AGE was a tad farther back!!! Supposed to be funny... I guess not.

In marine usage brass does not equal bronze like various stainless alloys are not monel. I don't think stainless would be a bad choice for outdoor wood furniture fasteners, just that real galvanized (not thin plated junk) will most likely outlive the wood and are usually way cheaper than all other suitable competing fasteners.

Now if these chairs were to be weighted and used underwater then a good grade of silicon bronze would hold up very well indeed but still galvanized would probably still outlive the wood (unless the West epoxy saturation process were used on the wood.)

Never fear Pat; I was fully aware of the Bronze age mention. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Some days my bones feel like they have indeed been in use since the time of Bronze or even before. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have had really good luck with Norm Abrams New Yankee Workshop plan- can't remember which book it is in- check your local library or used book store. You can buy the plan on line as well. As for the comfort question- curved seat and back makes it VERY COMFORTABLE. I use northern white cedar- either varnish or stain to seal. Very sturdy, easy to build. PM if you have any questions.