Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reverse Osmosis Filter

Re: Reverse Osmosis Filter

It was my understanding that the silver in the carbon filters kept the bacteria from multiplying. But did in no way kill them. Then you have the heavy metal "Silver" in your drinking water. I don't think that was the best trade off ever invented.

I remember about 15 years ago when these cute little top of sink units came out. Their big claim to fame was the silver that stopped bacteria growth. I'm not sure of the exact wording, but it was worded in such a way that you would think no bacteria would grow in these filters.

When someone mentioned the fact that this silver didn't necessarily stay in the filter, that some of it could be ingested, these cute little filters became not so popular.

I agree with Gary, most people just want an RO, they don't know why other than they have had the S*** scared out of them by filtration companies who are trying to sell them every filter known to man.

There is still no question that reverse osmosis water is a higher quality for water by removing dissolved solids. The use of electrolysis can clearly show the dissolved solids in the water. The body works harder to rid these solids.

RO water removes more than just tastes. There are many advantages and improvements in water quality.

Any salesman that uses scare or hype is doing no one but himself any service.

And there are many out there selling water equipment that stoop to unprofessional methods to promote their business including lying to or misleading customers about competitors' equipment and even bad mouthing the competition.

Most reasonable, intelligent people can see the difference.

Andy Christensen, CWS

Dissolved solids are not a health concern. The EPA and most States limit TDS to 500 ppm but that is not an established MCL (max contaminate level), it is suggested and not enforced.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Any salesman that uses scare or hype is doing no one but himself any service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mentioning TDS as you have above sounds like scare tactics to me...

And there are many out there selling water equipment that stoop to unprofessional methods to promote their business including lying to or misleading customers about competitors' equipment and even bad mouthing the competition.

Most reasonable, intelligent people can see the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then there are those salesmen that sell overpriced non-electric water powered softeners for $2000-$4700 and an RO for another $1000 and do their best to convince people the price is justified. But you're right, most people, intelligence aside, see the difference.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates

Boy, if that sounds like scare tactics you would be great to visit at Halloween...

There was nothing scary or mischievious about what I said. The fact is water quality is improved with quality treatment and customers that I personally follow up on make clear statements of their water improvement. When I retest their water, I ask for comments and referrals.

The EPA recommends 0-50ppm to be ideal for drinking water and for blended or mixed beverages. Prepare two Tipton teas, one with 500ppm and one with 10 ppm and the difference in clarity, aroma, taste and appearance is clear and dramatic.

And when water, as in my area reaches levels of 1500 TDS there is little choice in finding alternatives to their tap water.

I never mentioned nor even implied that TDS has ill health effects, and health-related issues should be determined by professionals equiped, trained and certified to make such conclusions. Recommendations to answer health concerns due to water, should also be handled by professionals.

Andy Christensen, CWS

I never mentioned nor even implied that TDS has ill health effects, and health-related issues should be determined by professionals equiped, trained and certified to make such conclusions. Recommendations to answer health concerns due to water, should also be handled by professionals.

Andy Christensen, CWS

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh? Here is what I read from you above and replied to:

The use of electrolysis can clearly show the dissolved solids in the water. The body works harder to rid these solids.

[/ QUOTE ]

So IMO you have linked health to TDS, and then you went on to suggest an RO.

To my knowledge TDS is aesthetic, not a health concern (no MCL) and TMK there is no science showing your linking TDS to health to be true.

All we have is the hype of a slick smooth talking consummate "professional" WQA certified salesman with Kinetico (you) suggesting/implying/inferring there is a link.

Then, as you always do, you deny saying implying or inferring whatever and deflect attention away from your statement. ...

1. Isn't calcium one of the biggest constituents of the TDS in many water supplies?

2. Aren't lots of folks buying and taking calcium pills?

Pat

"I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

TDS a measurement of all the things (soluables) that are contained (dissolved) in the water. Any calcium would contribute to the TDS.

Gary, I thought I said that! Isn't calcium carbonate or such typically the major component of the TDS in potable water?

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

No.

But then most folks don't looking for individual parameters making up the TDS of a particular water; whats the point in looking? Or, what difference does it make? Actually TDS is made up of both cations and anions and they will balance each other, or your TDS measurement is incorrect.

Sorry Gary, I guess we were just not communicating. I was pointing out that just having dissolved solids was not automatically a health risk since a frequent major component is something people go to the store and buy to take in pill form.

Of course if some of the dissolved solids are arsenic, nitrates, salt, and such that is different.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]