Thread: Building on a slope

Building on a slope

I would like to build a 30 x 40 pole building. I have been trying to find a flat location to build on, but that doesn't seem to exist on my property where I would like the building. Recently I saw a pole building being constructed on a hillside and they set the poles on the hill so the tops were all even. In other words the poles on the lower sections were taller than the poles on the upper section. Then it looked like they bolted boards horizontally between the poles on the lower sections to create a wall. Then they filled dirt in the inside of the building making the floor level with the higher ground. I hope that makes sense. Seems like they were using the wood and backfill in place of concrete footings and a concrete wall. I am just wondering if anyone has used this method before and what your toughts about it are?

Thanks
    Chris

Re: Building on a slope

Rather than choosing to fill the barn with dirt after the shell is done, I would recommend digging the "back wall" into the slope before you start. It is best to remove the top soil anyway and if you dig into the hill to level it up you will have far more access for the equipment. Bumping the poles after it is constructed could result in repairing broken poles.

Also, if you dig it into the hill, that portion of the barn will be nicely protected from the wind and cold.

Just my two cents.

Re: Building on a slope

Thanks for the reply. It still might be a possibility, however the high side is where you would enter. The low side slopes off to a ravine. I may be able to wrap the drive around the hill and get the building on flat ground. Just trying to weigh out the pros and cons to each. I did stop by the building I saw with the "wood foundation". They bolted 2x10 treated boards to the posts. Then they poured a 5 1/2" cement wall all around the outside. Then they added sand as the fill inside the building. They used sand so they could pour the floor sooner instead of waiting for dirt to settle. They put rebar in the walls and bent over on the top of the wall to tie into the concrete floor. Just thought I would update the post with what I found.

Thanks
    Chris