Thread: Any problem for having too large storage tank?

Any problem for having too large storage tank?

I plan to install a storage tank for a gravity feed water system. The well/pump/tank is over 1/4 mi away from the house. No power nearby. So, I'm thinking of installing a big tank (10,000gal) that would hold enough water for a month. That way, I don't need any complicated control mechanism. I will just manually start the generator to pump water every once a while.

Any downside for having a big tank? Will the water go bad for being in the storage tank too long? How long will normal well water last in a tank when left untreated? I don't want to end up filtering and treating the water like a swimming pool. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Re: Any problem for having too large storage tank?

Wow 10,000 is a big tank. I would think 2500 would be fine. Water itself does not go bad. It is the things that get it it that make it go bad. If the tank is sealed to keep insects rodents birds out and it is totally dark inside the water should stay good for very long periods of time. It is critical to keep daylight away from the water. If you do not alge will grow in the water. Mine is 1800 I throw one of the small chlorene tablets for pools in it every few months just to kill any alge that may be in it.

Re: Any problem for having too large storage tank?

The well will have to produce that volume in the time the pump takers to fill the tank. That can impact negatively on the well and water quality.

Storing untreated water... usually is a bad idea because treated water doesn't stay 'good' for more than a few months at best. All waters contain bacteria of one type or another, especially groundwater (a well). A constant temp dark environment is their favorite living arrangement and they thrive with little food.

Jim, pool chlorine is a different type than used to treat 'potable' water and actually is dangerous. It has 'things' in it that shouldn't be ingested; like UV inhibitors etc.. Non-scented regular bleach would a better choice although some labels say "Not to be used for water treatment". There are FDA approved for potable water use chlorine pellets that you can get from any water treatment dealer and many plumbing or pump supply houses.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates