Thread: seeding a yard with bermuda grass

seeding a yard with bermuda grass

My new home is almost done and I'd like to prepare my very sandy-soil back yard for planting bermuda grass. I have about 1/4 acre I'd like to get started. I have a box blade and will smooth out the surface, which will leave me almost pure, bare sand. Should I rough it up a bit with a disc harrow, broadcast, then drag? This is what I plan to do now unless someone has a better idea. Thanks.

Re: seeding a yard with bermuda grass

When we renovate our bermuda grass hay meadows we sow after we have done all the dirt work. Bermuda needs a pretty firm seedbed. We always run a roller across the field to tighten up the seed bed before broadcasting. In my reccolletion, most grass seed need to stay on top of the soil.

skalakman, You didn't mention your location in your bio nor mention your climate zone so it is tough to advise you. In much of the US you are late this year to seed bare ground with Bermuda. Soil temp is the guide in spring. You monitor soil temp and when it gets warm enough for good germination you plant and take care to get good seed-soil contact and light cover. Of course ground mositure is a factor too.

Although your soil is most likely warm enough now... it could be a little late in areas subject to significant freezing temps in winter. Young grass isn't nearly as freeze hardy as better established grass. If you do plant and water and get a good stand going, consider mulching with straw priopr to cold temps, assuming you get cold temps wherever it is you want Bermuda grass. Bermuda? Florida? Upper Michigan, Wisconsin, NODAK...

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks Pat. I am near Bellville, Texas, just west of Houston. Yesterday, after leveling out my "back yard" with a boxblade, I lightly disked the soil then smoothed it out by with a homemade drag. I broadcast the seed, then dragged it again to cover the seed with a thin layer of soil. The "soil" in my backyard is almost pure sand, and we had 1/2" of rain the night before. After seeding, I watered again very lightly. Hope something takes root!

skalakman, Well, I guess current soil temp and winter hardiness concerns for the "young" sprouts are minimized. I don't recall hearing about much below freezing weather in your area, at least not much for very long or hard.

I took a quick gander at: http://www.city-data.com/city/Bellville-Texas.html
    and confirmed your humidity, rainfall, wind, snow, temps, etc.

Unless this winter comes earlier and harder for you than is typical, your young Bermuda grass should be OK. Once established (next year) the upper limits of production from nitrogen fertilizer and water will be way beyond anything you'd likely apply.

Good luck keeping out the sand burrs (AKA sand spurs).

Wasn't trying to really level and smoothly contour a fair sized area a real delight using a box blade? My rig is especially entertaining as the tractor has a fairly short wheelbase which helps exaggerate the variations in cutting depth of the box blade as you drive over imperfections. I have multi-axis control of the box blade with hydraulics. I can raise/lower, tilt front to back, and tilt side to side. Still getting something smoothly contoured is a challenge, doable but not trivial.

Ever seen a "Land Plane" in action? If not, you'd likek it. It is sort of a tow behind alternative to a 3PH box blade. Makes smooth contouring way easier with its LOOOOONG equivalent wheelbase. It runs on full size trailer wheels and tires and is raised and lowered with hydraulics. I have a friend with one who helped me sculpt the building pad and yard for my mom's house. Very nice implement but I wouldn't get often enough use to warrant having one.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"