Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost of replacing submersible pump?

Re: Cost of replacing submersible pump?

I'm in about the same boat, and I'll get my new pump (and tank, which is leaking and was never installed right anyways, apparently) installed on Friday. I'm way remote, so there's about $250 just in travel time for these guys, but they quoted me $2800 for the pump and tank and labor. Youch. It's also a 3 inch submersible, and it's only about 10 years old. Alas.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm way remote, so there's about $250 just in travel time for these guys, but they quoted me $2800 for the pump and tank and labor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, where are you located that they can charge those rates?

bob...

I'm in extreme Northeastern California, about 8 miles from Nevada and 10 miles from Oregon. The closest town that has someone to do the work is an hour away in good weather, and the next closest town is about 3 hours drive each way. Needless to say, it's next to impossible to talk someone into coming for a small job, and for a biggish job like this, they can charge pretty much whatever they want, which in most cases is just normal times two. I'll post with the final verdict after the job is done. Maybe mine will come in under budget too! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I see what you mean. Your kinda at their mercy.

I don't know if it'll help, but I sell 3" and 4" subs if it's any help to you. Submersible Pumps

bob...

Update: Submersible pump (and tanks) cost

Well, Billy and Jeff showed up on Friday and I have a beautiful new system. Grundfos 3" submersible and 2 30 gallon tanks (a bigger tank wouldn't make it through the 21" door in the pumphouse). Billy gave me the second tank at his cost. Final cost, a nice round $3000. Now if the well doesn't go dry, I should be good to go for quite a while!
    Moral of the story: next time you replace your pump and your checkbook says "ouch!", just be glad you don't live in remote Modoc County, California (don't get me wrong, it's 100% worth it!).

Laurie

[img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Hi Bob,

I'm not certain but I think this thread is as good as starting another. I live in a fairly remote area but only fifteen miles from Redding (90,000).

When the power goes out (several times each year), I am without water. I have a 240V submersible, 1-1/2 HP well pump.

I have a 10KW generator but do not want to install it via a "whole-house" transfer setup.

I do not have the land layout for a substantial above ground storage tank, although I DO have a 20 gallon storage tank with 12V pump for potable water.

I am wondering if I could not just add a 110V submersible pump in parallel with my existing pump, with the 110V pump switched by it's own pressure switch that would be set with a much lower "start pumping" setpoint. That way I could have water with only an extension cord (or an invertor) and no hassle with any kind of transfer devices.

For emergency use, very low volume and even very low pressure would work fine for me.

Thanks,
    Bob
    I was taught to respect my elders but it's getting harder to find any!

It think your asking if this pump can be installed in line with the outgoing pipe from the submersible in the well. If the water level in your well were less than 25 feet, it may be possible. But you wouldn't need the extra tank, the one you already have would do. I am not familiar with a pump that runs on 115 volts that has a built in pressure switch, so I can't say if the pump is capable of lifting water or not.

This is not something I have ever seen done before, but then I have seen other strange things that actually work well. So, maybe it's worth a try. Can you post a picture of this pump?

bob...

Hi Bob,
    I guess I din't get my point across very well.
    I do NOT have a 110V pump, I am interested in getting one. I assumed that since 12VDC pumps were available 110VAC might just be available also.
    I was also referencing a second pressure switch to control the 110V pump, IE:220V pump pressure switch set points = on at 20PSI, off = 40PSI for example and 110V (or 12V) on = 10PSI and off = 30PSI (or 40 or whatever).
    Actually, 10 on and 20 or 25 off would work just fine for emergency use.

Thanks for your patience!
    Bob
    I was taught to respect my elders but it's getting harder to find any!

That makes it easy. There are lots of 115 volt pumps. Jet Pumps, Centrifugal Pumps. They can be up to two horsepower in 115 volts.

The big thing is the water level in the well. These pumps can only lift water 25 feet vertically.

bob...

I guess it's pretty inexpensive, when I got mine replaced it didn't cost that much.

http://www.thehardwarecity.com/?sku=5327721