Thread: deer accidents

deer accidents

Does this seem high? In 2005 there where approximately 8800 deer related accidents in the state of Kansas, which was down from 2004 of 9900.

Re: deer accidents

I think them deer in Kansas are getting to much corn mash or wacky tabackie to be having that many accidents. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

A guy was killed on a motorcycle in Jacksonville Fl. about a week or two ago when he hit a deer. He was on interstate 295 (circle freeway around Jax) at 5am. News said he hit the deer, then I heard a report that car hit it first and then he hit it so I'm not sure of the details.
    The deer here are about the size of a large skinny German Shepard.
    The news had to point out that if he had bought a pair of those $5. deer whistles he might have avoided the accident.
    A girlfriend back 20 years ago told me that growing up in Virgina her dad drove a bus for Trailways. She said he would carry a tarp with him and was always coming home with fresh road kill deer.
    As for your question, I would say it's possible.

They say here in W-KY and NW-TN that there are two kinds of drivers, those who have hit a deer and those who will. As often as I see the critters wandering around the fields here at dusk, that number wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Michigan had 58,000 auto/deer accidents in 2005.

Deer are bad enough, but up here, especially in Newfoundland and New Brunswick, moose are the deadly issue. Driving anywhere after dark is taking your life in your hands. The moose are sooooo big and heavy, when a car hits one, they hit it around half-way up the legs, and the torso crashes through the windshield. Usually the car driver is seriously hurt or killed, along with the moose. These things run up to 1500 lbs and 6' tall at the shoulder.
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

It sounds like Michigan has a big deer problem.