Thread: Transplanting trees

Transplanting trees

The folks we bought our place from had a small bed on the side of the sunroom where they would grow trees. When they were big enough, they would move them out to the yard or somewhere on the property.

Well, there's about 8 little oak trees there now, and I need to get them out because they are starting to get big. I feel that we have enough trees, so I have no use for them. An old neighbor said he would take a couple if I was just getting rid of them.

Question: what's the best way to transplant these trees? My first though was just uproot them as much and as carefully as possible and place them in a 5 gallon bucket. Then , he can do whatever he wants on his end.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.
    *** What we've got here is failure to communicate ***

Re: Transplanting trees

I would say that is about right. Try not to disturb the roots too much.

If you do expose the roots any when digging them up just be sure to keep them wet. As long as they are wet they will be OK when replanted.
    "There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking."

I have also learned from an arborist, that you should wrap the tree with burlap or other wrapping material. Transporting unwrapped trees causes wind burn which can kill the tree.