Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Correct Time?

Correct Time?

For lack of a better place to post this, here goes:

Where do you get the correct time? The time that is announced over the weather radio is different from the time that my clock displays. (It's one of those jobbies that receives the data from WWV in Colorado.) I go to the internet site Time and get yet another time. I've asked the chickens, but all their wrist watches are set differently. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Re: Correct Time?

You need to edit your post to take the extra "http://" out of the link to get it to work. But I use http://www.time.gov/ myself.

Thank you, Bird. It must be operator error, as I can't even get a simple link correct.

Looks like you took the extra "http:" out but didn't take out the extra "//" so it still doesn't work. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

You Want The Time Jassdad? You need one of these, Attached, and a recipe.

web page

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

World Time Server Download the free executable Atomic Clock. Automatically update your computer clock when you tell it to ping the atomic clock. Even adjusts for latency in your internet connection.
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

if anyone reading this is hearing an incorrect time off the weather radio - please PM me with the station you're listening to and your location....I'll get it corrected. (it's what I do)

WWG-55 is correct.
    Now if they could get the forecasts even CLOSE to correct. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

I used to really get into time. I coppied the morse code sent by WWV and WWVH. With the introduction of "Atomic" clocks I hardly ever get a time hack from WWV on HF.

My wifes new wristwatch has a receiver in it and is an "Atomic clock." I love it because her previous watch didn't keep time all that well and I had to reset it a few times a year in addition to the savings time hustle. Now it does it all itself. It stays right with the other atomic clocks spritzed around the house.

Of course there is a latency involved with atomic clocks due to the speed of light being finite not infinite. I thiink the transmitter is about 1500 miles from us so the time signals arrive here about 0.008 seconds late so her new watch is always about 0.008 seconds slow. (I made some simplifying assumptions and approximations but the result shoulid be accurate +/- 10%.

If she was never late more than 0.008 seconds I couldn't complain.

Adron, You are a sadist. Sending folks off on a mission that requires editing their registry is almost a guarantee that someone will have a BIG PROBLEM.

It reminds me of a guy who used to work on comms gear for an airbase. he would always tape a "diddle stick" to the back of each receiver. Then if anything went wrong or was suspected to be wrong the first bozo to take a look was armed with a tool to make it easy to un-allign every tuned stage in the receiver thus guarranteeing repeat business for the tech.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

That's what happens when you buy that expensive stuff. I just have a Timex and it gets set twice a year; that being when we change to and from daylight savings time. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]