Thread: More Mole Questions....

More Mole Questions....

The Mole problem - I'm trying to avoid by being proactive. Prior to putting my new lawn in, I'm thinking of covering underneath with a fine mesh nylon or metal fence material so the bugger's can't get up from underneath. At the sides, I'm planning to wrap up and down, although this part's not as well thought out. Has anyone tried this? Will it even work? Atleast If I do get moles, they won't be able to get back under and perhaps easier to shoot/trap/pitchfork?

Re: More Mole Questions....

Never heard of that approach but if you used the right material it should work as long as the material lasts. Galvanized fencing (hot dipped not plated) could last several years. I'm not sure if there is a geotextile type material that is mole proof. Ask a grounds keeper at a high dollar golf course. I'm sure they will know what if anything is practical for mole control.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: More Mole Questions....

Wow, that sure does seem to be a lot of trouble to go to in order to keep moles out of a yard. Why not just spray for bug control? I have one mole tunnel that runs on the border of my lawn. I didn't want to trap and I didn't want that sucker traipsing off all over the place so I treated for grubs and such and I've had no problems. Also, from my observations, those moles seem to be creatures of habit and maintain the same tunnel. I have another mole up by my front gate that has used the same tunnel across my dirt drive for two years. That tunnel gets packed down and there are weeks that go by with evidently no traffic, but invariably after awhile, the tunnel trail pops back up.