Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well I'll Be, It's Hunting Season Again

Well I\'ll Be, It\'s Hunting Season Again

Yep folks, it won't be too long before firearms season for deer opens here in GA. Anyone else taking to the field this hunting season? If not, what are your experiences in the past?
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

Re: Well I\'ll Be, It\'s Hunting Season Again

Many years ago I discoverd a moose is a very large animal. I also discovered the carcase is also very heavy.

Having spent several days carrying smaller sections of said carcase over hill and dale and through crick and bog I came to the definate conclusion hunting was only for manly men whose ranks I would never join! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Yes, deer season is coming in November. As I am over 60 I only hunt from a ladder stand which I drive to on my ATV. I shoot no deer I can't drive up and load. Deer are really thick here in the Shawnee National Forest, you may not shoot one, but it won't be because you did not see one. I do own several deer guns that I swear have crooked barrels which allow easy shots to go astray.

rfawkes, Your crooked barrel comment reminds me of a frontier story I read as a young lad. Seems the boy in the story inherited a musket with a crooked barrel. He practiced with it until he learned where to aim to hit a blaze he put on a tree along side a frequented game trail. WHen he needed to shoot food for the family he would go stake out his shooting station and wait for suitable game to walk down the trail past his marked tree. Worked great in his set piece mode but of course was useless with impromptu moving targets.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

We need to take out a prescribed number of deer each year (the number varies, of course), to maintain the "herd" in our wildlife management area. I haven't participated because I can't justify the cost of the weapon, license, fee, etc, versus going to the meat market and buying some beef.

And Pat; confess- that story about the musket was actually your childhood, right?
    [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

Yes Dove season already here and Bamby has grown horns. The cool fronts making it South. Makes my triger finger itch.

Myself and my boy are going pheasant hunting for the first time after football season is over, he is really excited about going hunting. Jerry

jdc40, Prepare to get hooked. Even if you don't shoot a bird it's great fun just getting the chance to see, and hear, a pheasant take flight.

Good luck.

Aaron
    Livin' the dream.

Not getting a bird is the best part of all.

If you do bring home game it never defeathers and eviscerates itself without some help.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I don't bother trying to pluck all the feathers. I skin it while the bird is still a little warm. Make a little slit at the neck then work your way down. You can then peel the skin off like peeling an onion. You just need to cut the wings and head off.

Great eating!
    Livin' the dream.