Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Protecting the Mailbox

Protecting the Mailbox

Do ya'll think it's possible to build a metal cage to protect a mailbox? We keep getting mailbox smashers around here and they are killing our mailbox. And the police never do anything about it. Please help before I go broke buying mailboxes!!!!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

Re: Protecting the Mailbox

I'm sorry. Could a mod please move this to the outdoor section? Sorry.

I just saw this over on TBN and it got me to thinking "outside the box"

John Deere Mailbox

When we built our place in a somewhat remote location off a dirt/gravel road, I didn't initially notice the neighbor had a very heavy duty welded mailbox that they obviously had made for the same issues you are having.

So far, we've had our mailbox ripped out of the ground, mail tampered with, etc.

We did end up buying a box that can take a little more abuse than the average box, but will have to get something made if the mailbox smashers really get serious.

The problem you run into is that I don't think it's really legal to use a box that won't break-away when hit by a car.

It's sad, but I agree with you that the postal service and police don't want to be bothered following up on this type of thing..

I have thought about getting a square solid steel box made to insert into a standard mailbox. That would be an unplesant surprise to the would be box smasher...

I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned here before, but one suggestion was to suspend a smaller mailbox inside of a larger one and fill the space in between with concrete.

Be a shock to whoever was wielding a ball bat!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Thanks for the info guys.

I really don't understand the thrill these kids get from destroying mail boxes, but it is a continuing problem for me and for neighbors up and down the road. We go a couple of years with no problem, them the cycle starts over. I have a metal box on a rotating base that precludes some of the damage, as the box spins when hit. I pound the dents out as well as possible, and replace when it won't hold mail anymore.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The problem you run into is that I don't think it's really legal to use a box that won't break-away when hit by a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested in understanding where this requirement comes from. I have seen many mailboxes built into brick columns and other substantial structures. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

It just depends on state and local laws and regulations, depending sometimes on what kind of road you are on. Down in the country, we had our mailbox set on a heavy steel pipe set in concrete. It was there when we bought the place, but we were on a county road and I learned that the only regulation was whatever access the mail carrier wanted. Then my brother bought 10 acres in the same area, but on a state (farm to market) road. He bought the mailbox, but could not put his own post. The state sent a man out to set a breakaway post for the mailbox. And now I'm back in town and my mailbox is in one of those approx. 2' square brick pedestals. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] The odd thing to me is that mine is the only brick pedestal on this street although there are several others in the neighborhood.

Thanks, Bird. I guess things are different here on the east coast. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I had never heard of any regulations regarding mounting of mailboxes, other than setting the height to insure in-vehicle access by the USPS.