Thread: mangel beets

mangel beets

Anyone have experience with mangel beets? Planted a few as an experiment this year. Grew okay, However after having several freezes, (Killed everything else), but the beets are still alive! Surely someone out there knows if this is normal for this beet. thanks

Re: mangel beets

Mangels are often used for winter feed for livestock by some "old timers". They are extremely cold hardy and will often continue growing even with the snow. Sheep, in particular, love the things in winter. The roots have a relatively high sugar content. They'll eat the tops as well as the root. You don't even need to bother harvesting them. Let the animals do that. Just whip out an electrice fence to use as a partition. Once they've eaten the first couple of rows, move the fence. Cattle relish them also.

Never did those beets but I have a good sized turnip patch that is lasting though some frosts. Stock and deer lover the turnips. I like the greens and the actual turnip too.

My turnip patch is a result of a friend helping me seed some bare dirt where a dozer did some work. IT is seeded in rye, wheat, and turnips, the mix he was disking in for wildlife plots to support deer hunting.

Pat

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

First off I want to make a correction to my previous post.

DO NOT let your livestock eat mangel leaves. They are toxic!

I confused this with turnips, which are fully edible (both leaf and root).

Mangels are still excellent as a food source, but you will have to remove all the green vegetation prior to feeding them to your animals.

I am terribly sorry for this incorrect info!

I've never heard that one before. Most sources (if they mention the tops at all) say mangel leaves are fine for animals if they are fed in moderation.

Anyone know where to get Mangel beet seed? I want to plant some, but can't find the seed. I reeeeealy want Non-GMO seed... if I can get it.
    Aren't these the beets used as sugar beets? If so, I'm thinking it's going to be next to impossible to get anything but GMO seed.
    Thanks!

Google? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It would sure be nice if it were that easy!
    I exhausted links on Froogle (Googles shopping SE, much better than Google for finding products) & Dogpile (much better search engine that Google. Google just has the cool name going for it.)

Thanks tho.

http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...tem_no=PS10620
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

THANK YOU!
    That is totally bizar... Seeds of Change was one of the first places I looked! I actually found this forum on a Web search. Now I'm busy reading thru it! Sounds like some great info to be had here!