Thread: Different flavor for Smoking Meats.

Different flavor for Smoking Meats.

Has anyone here ever tried soaking their wood in different liquids before smoking? I've used juices in the water tray, but a friend said his dad would soak his hickory chips in red wine (flamable???) before tossing them in the smoker. I just wanted to know if anyone else has tried soaking in different liquids

Thanks,
    49T&C

Re: Different flavor for Smoking Meats.

Wine is too low in alcohol to burn well. The heat will drive off the alcohol and the residue will have the non-alcoholic flavors.

Cider is really good for pork and lamb but is ok with fowl and beef too. A little cinnamon in the cider is OK too (more OK with the lamb and pork) but I don't like to go too far with it.

The popular near eastern spice (originated in Northern India I think) Garam Masala makes a good rub for pork that is going to be slow cooked. It has a laundry list of ingredients and every source is likely to have some variation in ingredients and percentages but I have never found any that wasn't just fine.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Different flavor for Smoking Meats.

The way to really change the flavor is use a different wood. Apple etc for turkey, chicken, oak and cherry give a hearty flavor or use maple for a nice sweetness...