Thread: HVAC - split system vs package unit

HVAC - split system vs package unit

I need a total system replacement for my residence. Current system is split with gas heat/air handler in the crawl space. I need all new ducts and a bigger return anyway, bigtime. The crawlspace ranges from 4' at the access to 2' with the handler at 3' so clearance and exhaust flu rise isn't a big issue.

My contractor whom is a neighbor and I'd like to trust, has quoted a $500 dollar higher price for the package system over an identical spec split unit and insists I'll like it better. But his only response to my why is, "ease of servicing". In my mind, it would be a safety plus to get the flame/exhaust totally outdoors and it might be a little quieter.

My concerns are:

1. I can't help but feel a split system is more efficient due to reduced ducting, and stand-alone compressors sure look like they'd be more efficient

2. I don't like the idea of cutting a 3'x3'? hole for ducting in my block foundation, especially under a 2-story wall

3. I have no previous experience or knowledge of package systems, more of a fright than a concern

Can anyone address my concerns? Am I missing any points of debate?

Re: HVAC - split system vs package unit

I have one of each a split on the downstairs and a self contained unit on the roof for the upstairs. i can't tell any differnce in the performance of the two. They both work well and make about the same amount of noise. I sure would not want to cut the hole in the wall you ae talking about. I think I would stick with a split system.

Probably gain some extra heat through the floor from a split system also. I'm thinking maybe the cost of the packaged unit itself is somewhat cheaper enabling the dealer to pocket extra money.

I designed and built my own house (energy efficient), my father was a "Tin Knocker" (ac/heating) man.

I am using a split sustem for you very first reason

"""1. I can't help but feel a split system is more efficient due to reduced ducting, and stand-alone compressors sure look like they'd be more efficient"""

You are absolutly correct when you say its more efficient with reduced duct work. The more distance between the evaperator coil and return air, the harder your unit will have to work. Same thing with your heat.

Your neighbor seems more concerned with making the job easier for himself and a few extra dollars too.
    When I priced units, sef contained units were cheaper.

My advice, save the friendship and keep the split unit and find yourself a "GOOD" installer.

If you and and your neighbor have a falling out... who are you going to get to service your unit ?

Just something to think about... [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I think its due to our 10 years of respect for each other as neighbors that the ol' man is being carefull not to make recommendations that I might later have issues with. He'll talk about duct design for hours but he shuts up as soon as you ask him about the machinery.

I'm going split system. I had grandiose ideas of later having an outside wood fired boiler plumbed in with the package type unit but I don't need all that in this climate.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] let's see.....I have installed air conditioning in one-two-three houses that only had central heat when I bought them, and adding a split system was, of course, the best way to go. What I have found is that there are tin benders and there are air conditioning guys. Some tin guys are not very comfy with vacuum pumps, freon 22, and welding refrigeration tubing so they get a packaged unit and do whatever is necessary to duct it in. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave