Thread: Wrap pole born posts

Wrap pole born posts

I have been thinking I will wrap my posts at the bottom with tar paper or something similar. Has anyone done this or have a better idea? What about post protectors, anyone use them. I'm trying to find a source to get the 60% treated posts. Home Depot's are just treated at the 40% level. All advice welcome.

Regards,

Mitch

Re: Wrap pole born posts

I was thinking of useing that ICE DAM self stick rubberized roofing membrane.
    do a spot on the bottom wrapped up a bit then a wrap or 2 around the pole and should seal to itself quite well.

it's $50/roll but would go a LONG ways when wrapping poles

just my $.02

I'm not sure that wrapping posts would help if you were not getting a water tight seal all thte way up the post till it was out of the ground. Any leak will allow ground moisture to get in and once in can wick up the wood fiber. After all that was what the tree was designed to do, let water flow vertically to nourish the living organism. Still works after the tree is lumber or a post.

The plastic covers, sealed at the top to prevent water ever getting inside, should work well. They sure are getting popular. The self sealing wrap should do well too if the self sealing lasts and lasts for a good long time underground in wet dirt.

I have about decided the next time I go to put a wooden post in the ground that I will cast a rebar and concrete post and tie the wood post to it above ground. A lengthwise split thinwall PVC pipe would make a good form and it could be held together with some hose clamps and the seam sealed, if needed, with tape (duct, masking, plastic packaging, or whatever) This gives you a reusable form for casting steel reinforced concrete posts that will take a very long time to deteriorate.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm trying to find a source to get the 60% treated posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you thought about using 2x6's carage bolted together ?
    It would be better treated, straonger and you wouldn't have cracking issues either [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

A few thoughts on posts:

Do some research in your area if possible. Talk to the builders even if you don't intend to use them. Posts treated to .60 will generally hold up pretty well.

We had a builder in my area holding a patent on plastic sleeves for posts. Guess what? That guy is not even in business any longer.

Concrete post bottoms? Do a search on Perma Coulumns.

Carage bolted 2x's? Around here, we call them gluelams. They use treated SYP for the bottom spine jointed to non treated SYP for the ground level up. Very cost effective for longer lengths over 6x6-8x8 treated posts.

I would focus on proper footings and uplift protection myself.

"We had a builder in my area holding a patent on plastic sleeves for posts. Guess what? That guy is not even in business any longer."

Actually, the business is alive and well in Pottsville, Pa. These things are selling like crazy.

http://www.postprotector.com/

I came across an ad today for just what you may be looking for. Postsaver

Thanks for all the replys. I had decided to build my barn using a footing and stick building from there. Dec. 18 I was waiting for Dig Safe to do my locate when the rain and snow started. After the second storm which included an inch of ice 5 inches of snow and much wind I am still waiting for the thaw. Don't know if I will get it started before I go back to work in the spring. I had not been able to find a source for the 60% CCA posts but was reading an article stating that post frame companies still have access to the CCA treated posts. May still look at this option. Again thanks for all the info.

Regards,

Mitch