Thread: Wire inside of pole barn

Wire inside of pole barn

I have a silly question but I'm going to ask it. What's the best way to wire plugs in a pole barn. I was planning on putting a plug on each post which is on 8 ft. centers. I'm thinking I need to run wire across header plate and down pole wire plug, then send wire up post across header plate to next plug and so on. Just seems like a waste of wire by going up and down.

Re: Wire inside of pole barn

Put a connector box at the top of each post and run one wire down.

Make sure it's in parallel.

Egon

I wired my building with a receptical on each pole. I ran BX or what ever they call it now on the first purlin up from the floor behind the post and mounted the outlet box right to the side of the post even with the face of the post and just daisy chained the wiring right into and out of the back of the outlet box and used the recptical as the junction.

Maybe check the wiring code for your area as here there are specifics when running unprotected or open wire. It has to do with height from the floor.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

What is the barn used for? For agriculture, PVC conduit in open areas and UF in enclosed walls is code I believe. EMT or BX can be subject to rust depending on the environment.

If running conduit, either "T"s or junction boxes can be used where your drops are. The conduit can be surface mounted or mounted under the header with proper hardware depending on what you want. You could do the same with exposed Romex but you still need junction boxes for your splices.

Quartz lamps or a heat gun can be used to heat PVC pipe for making bends to follow contours saving on fittings.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The barn will be used for storage and I'm thinking of finishing part of the barn to put my pool table in and have a nice place to hang out in.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] If ever there was a place to use PVC conduit, this would be it. Run the conduit at plate elevation and use the side-outlet tees to make your drops. That beats the daisy chain arrangement because you can pull a couple of different circuits into that horizontal and split up the load somewhat. Next year when you have that big fish fry, you can have several pots and roasters going all at the same time. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave