Thread: Rail Fencing

Rail Fencing

I have an oak forest at the back of my house so I've been collecting the dead fall to build a 2 rail fence. I cut 4-6" timbers for the post about 6', set them about 18 inches in the ground. I'm putting these about 8' apart. I'm cutting rails 2-3" diameter. The way I'm attaching the railing is by drilling a couple of 1 inch holes in the post and pounding in a 1 inch stake to lay the rail across it. I'll tie these off with baling string. I'm building this fencing this way because I like the way it looks. I did this to keep the cows away from the deer feeder, and it's worked very well. It doesn't have to be fool proof. Anybody else build a rail fence like this? Is there a quicker, easier way to attach the rails to the posts? Best thing about this project is its low cost.

Re: Rail Fencing

I helped build a similar fence at a local Cowboy Action Shooting range. We used old bois d'arc posts that were donated from various fencing "upgrade operations". We didn't even bother drilling the posts (I don't think you could anyway since the posts are 40-50 years old and harder than steel). We just lashed the "rails" to the posts using baling wire. It was mainly for looks anyway.

All my life I've seen those bois d'arc trees, but I've always seen them growing solitary. Where do those things grow in abundance? If the wood is so good for fencing why doesn't someone tree farm them? Do the trees grow too slow?
    I always hated those trees. The bullies in the neighborhood threw the 'horse apples' at all us younger, weaker kids. I never knew until reading on here how useful those trees actually are.

Most of the ones I have seen have been solitary as well. The problem w/ actually using them is that they rarely grow straight enough to make anything useful. I think they are very slow growing as well(I know trees on my parent's place that were small when I was a kid are still small). The only place I have seen them in "groves" is in some river bottom flats near here. But when you get that many of them together they tend to "bush out" instead of making nice trees. I have heard the wood is actually fairly easy to work while still green, but nearly impossible once dried. A friend of mine made a set of pistol grips out of bois d'arc and they were beautiful.
    As far as fencing, they will last but once dried you don't drive new staples into them, you find a crack and wedge the staple in it.

Bois d'arc trees grow in quantity in SW Missouri - in and around Springfield. They're considered scrub wood as there are so many of them. I'm sure they're also plentiful in other parts of the Ozarks, as well as OK and possibly KS.

A Native American friend told me the green wood should be buried for one year before being used to make bows. Whodathunkit? I doubt that would be necessary for fencing, but I do know that Bois d'arc fences built "way back" are still in place and functioning just fine - strong, straight, and sturdy. If you're willing to make the trip to pick some up, I'm sure there are places you could get it from. Be warned, though - them things have nasty thorns! Obtaining the wood is not a job for the faint-hearted. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

For more on Bois d'arc, check Homesteading/What's This - Ozark Apple discussion.

Thanks for the infor Faith. I have a friend who farms in SW MO. They may have those trees. If so, I might make a special trip to collect a truck load of posts.

You're quite welcome! If your friend doesn't have any, s/he may be able to put you in contact with other locals who'd know where to get them. A few years back I went through Springfield and a field was being cleared of Bois d'arc, with the wood being hauled off as trash. You may luck into a situation like that whilst on your hunt. Good luck!