Thread: planning a new house

planning a new house

I am planning to build a new house on my piece of land in Vermont in the next few years. I have a lot of choices to make and would like to hear your recomendations for type of heating systems. I would like to use radiant heat if affordable. How many people used pex tubing for their water piping in their house? What things would you do different in your house you built. I know this is a broad post and can get a lot of answers but am open to all thoughts. Thanks Rick <font color="orange"> </font color>

Re: planning a new house

Hi Rick - I haven't built a house, am living in an old wreck of a farmhouse, but have been intrigued by the information on buildinggreentv.com. These folk have built a very large home with straw bales, and it is a beauty. The straw walls have an R factor of 45 and they did use radient heat in the floors. Might want to check it out. I am thinking a house built of straw sounds mighty good. Chris

Re: planning a new house

Rick, if you will pm me with your email, I'll send you a PDF file that I give to people when they start planning for a new home. I have put this list together over several years of consulting on new homes.

Bob