Thread: pressure booster pump

pressure booster pump

How about some advice from some of the water and plumbing experts?

The attached crude drawing (I make no claims about being an artist) shows water coming in from the source (meter or well).

The pressure is sensed with a pressure switch where the water enters the house.

The water is split into two parallel paths. One goes through a check valve and the other through a pump and then a check valve. The two parallel paths recombine and go to the house.

Maybe there should be a bladder tank to reduce short cycling the pump?

Just for a starting point lets say the pressure switch turns the pump on when input pressure falls below 30 lbs if the output pressure switch permits it.

OOPS... forgot to draw the output pressure switch which is another presure switch that goes in the output after the two paths converge. This second switch provides the high limit pump cutoff at say 60 PSI.

My hope is that if the water pressure on the supply line stays above 30PSI the pump does not run and water flows mostly through the path without the pump but it is OK if some water flows through the pump and probably will depending on the style of the pump.

When the input water pressure falls below 30PSI the pump comes on and runs until the ouitput pressure excceeds 60PSI and then shuts off. The check valves prevent any funny buisness.

I have never used a cycle stop arrangement and from what very little I comprehend that might be an alternate approach in place of a larger bladder tank.

If the input supply pressure falls below 30PSI while the output pressure is above 35PSI the pump does not run.

The switch arrangement lets the pump runs till the output pressure hits 60 PSI and shuts off but won't restart till the output pressure falls below say 35PSI AND the input pressure is less than 30PSI.

My hope is that the pump will not run unless the input pressure is low and then only to meet the range programmed by the cut in cut out pressures of the switch on the output side.

Again, the pump doesn't run if the input pressure is above 30PSI no matter what the output pressure is.

I would also like a suggestiion as to the kind of pump that would be good for this. A non-exhaustive list of candidates includes cheap fresh water pump from HF, shallow well pump, other.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: pressure booster pump

IMO that is not possible because the pump will not get enough water to be able to increase the pressure, let alone to 60 psi.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates

--
    You may be an urban puke if you don't know of and root for at least a few NASCAR drivers.

It would require calculating the available delivery rate of the supply pipe.

For those I am quite sure I was at the pool parlor getting fleeced by a hustler when the Prof covered Fluid Dynamics! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Large pressure tank and a low rate pressure pump on an empirical basis is my only solution.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Oh well... I had hopped that since the rate of consumption on the house side of the plumbing would not exceed single digits of gal/min that the suction side of the pump would not starve.

Oh by the way Egon... When I was in college (the first time) I had a permanent green discoloration on the heel of my left hand. It would not wash off. This was from spending so much time with it pressed against the green felt of a pool table. Our student union had several full size pool tables and a couple billiards tables (small holes and different balls.) Eight ball was 5 cents a cue per game and the house man racked the balls.

Pat
    Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Eight ball was 5 cents a cue per game

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to pay a dime in the small Oklahoma town pool halls. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] And it wouldn't have taken a very good player to beat me. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] So now that I have room for a table at home, I bought my own Olhausen table and I'm still no good. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Pat, on the suction side you are making an assumption that may not be true. Do some research on reynolds number and pipe flow.

Bird et al, Please see the thread in Hobbies "Pool Table"

Thank you,

Patrick

Egon, If I can get 12-15 gal per minute free flowing my supply that has a static pressure of 25-30 PSI why can't I pump 5-10 GPM at 50-60 PSI.

Don't gal(1) X PSI (1) = gal(2) X PSI (2)

Sounds good to me.

water pressure problem is really a bog problem .Total home water pressure booster pump is a solution for it.
    It will increase the pressure and give better results so you can enjoy better shower ana big cleaning and many more.
    It consume less power. Its safe and easy to install and fully automatic that maximize and mainrain household water presure.
    Maximum pumping capacity to 26 GPM ,Maximum additional pressure 40 PSI