Thread: Surfing

Surfing

Took a trip to the Beach this morning. On one off them I caught a picture of a fellow having fun??

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Surfing

This was when he hit the beach. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

A little harbour down the road aways.

Hey, aren't you fellows glad I finally got a camera? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, I'm glad because you post some interesting pictures. The harbor shot almost makes me homesick regarding my live aboard days near the commercial fishing fleet.

About the surfer... Where were you standing to take the second shot? The camera angle showed a scary looking rocky cliff but given the apparent FL the perspective is a tad distorted. Also the camera angle prevents seeing his actual landing point. The waves are not carrying him toward the rugged shore in the picture but to the viewer's left where we can't see if there is a white sand beach with palm trees and hula girls or what.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat:

The surfer pictures are pretty poor quality. What looks like cliffs are not very tall. The surfer landed on a rocky [cobble size ] beach. The tide was high. There was snow on the ground and a miserable cold wind blowing.

Southeast Alaska is the place for really nice dock/cove/harbour pictures. The sun and cloud conditions have to right though.

Egon

Egon, Funny but just recently I was thinking I wanted a T shirt proclaiming, SURF OKLAHOMA!

I worked with a guy in San Diego who surfed virtually every morning. He spent so much time in the cold water that he had some sort of ear problem that required surgery. He sealed his ear and ignored the doctor and surfed even before the ear fully healed.

When it comes to surfing, don't think of San Diego as a semi-tropical paradise, think COLD WATER. The major gyre responsible for the north to south current down the coast passes by the Aleutians and down Alaska and then the rest of the US Pacific coast. The Coriolis effect pulls the current clockwise away from the coast a bit and the really cold water at depth rises up to replace it. The current itself isn't hot, coming down from the north but this upwelling guarantees cold water off the coast of California all the time. In summer you can get a very thin surface layer of warm water but any decent sized surf tears that up. If you go swiming you can easily get below the warmed layer and will be in for quite a shock.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"