Thread: Short garage door opener?

Short garage door opener?

My neighbor needs a garage door opener on her 16' wide door. The problem is that there is only 106" from the header back to the center of the garage where she has duct work finished off with plaster. Normal garage door openers are 123". Anyone know if you can shorten the track on an opener or if you can purchase a short opener? Thanks.

Re: Short garage door opener?

Looks like a good solution. I had seen those in the past but couldn't remember the name. I've bookmarked it for future use. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Boy - thanks for that link. I had 9' sectional doors installed in my garage so I could get my tractor inside with the ROPS up. This height requires commercial type door openers so I have put-off installing openers. These openers look like they'll be just right for my installation.

Thanks again

I put one of these openers on a 10' rollup door on my barn. I got it from Lowes. The company makes two versions of this door opener, one for their door, and one for the other brands. I had to move my tension springs [dual spring] over some to have room to clamp the unit on, but that wasn't much problem. The opener works great, but is a little different mechanical technology than most openers. Make sure you affix the power plug to the unit where it plugs in, over time it will start to unplug itself and act like it is having other problems.

The Lowes # was 200394, and it was $257 on 6/05/04 when I bought it. It was a stock item at the time, but you can get them to special order one if they don't stock it in your local store. They are pretty easy to deal with on special orders.

200394 IDRIVE TORSION SP 257.00

Good luck.

After I made the post I discovered the iDrive and ordered one. Thanks for posting the link though. It should be here Friday and I'll follow up with how I mak out.

A few user notes, if you are interested.
    1- The unit is fairly easy to install. And it operates the door quickly and smoothly.
    2- It works on my 10 foot door, while they do not recommend it for that height.
    3- I had to extend the antenna outside the metal siding to get any distance on the xmitter in the driveway. I used an insulated stainless bolt with a stainless rod antenna sticking up from that point outside. [a stainless limit switch arm is what I used]
    4- I had to locktite the screws that hold the motor on after I found one laying on the floor after about 6 months use, they may have caught that problem by now.
    5- The remote lamp unit is a line of sight operated device, and you must maintain a clear view between the main unit and it at all times. The transmitter diode in the main unit is located where you can disturb its aiming when you remove or replace the main units cover. The unit I have was produced in the spring of 2004, so this may not be the case in later units.
    6- The door is fairly easy to open close when you pull the red wall mounted disconnect handle. And when you re-connect the unit, it remembers it's programming.
    7- Although I programed the outside digital pad, I never installed it to see how it worked outside on the metal barn siding.

Good luck, Jerry

Well I finally got the iDrive installed. I did receive it back in January and promptly installed it. Yes, it is quite an easy install with an outstanding manual. I had very little room between the torsion bar and the finished ceiling but it fit. After I installed it I excitedly pushed the wall button and received nothing but beeps from the unit. Two hours later and totally frustrated, I stood back just staring at the door wondering what I could have possibly done wrong. As I stared at the pulleys at the end of the torsion bar I realized that the cables were coming over the top from the interior side toward the exterior. The torsion bar had been installed backwards!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

It took me three months to get back over to my neighbor and take apart the torsion bar without loosing a spring and taking my arm or something off. Now the iDrive works fantastic and my neighbor is very happy after 20 years of manhandling a 16' garage door.

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures. I usually take pictures but got in too much of a hurry to get this done. One note on the remote keypad. The instructions don't tell you this but the manufacturer quickly answered an email question for me. Once you use the keypad to close the door, you can hit any button within 30 seconds and the door will reopen. After 30 seconds the full code must be used.