Thread: Stihl chainsaw opinion

Stihl chainsaw opinion

Time to get a new chainsaw. I am looking at this chainsaw:
    http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS180CBE.html

I like the Stihl chainsaw because it is light and powerful. Plus this one is supposed to be easy to start. Anyone familiar with this easy to start feature? Is it real or a gimmick?

thanx

Re: Stihl chainsaw opinion

About a month ago I bought a Stihl BG85 blower with the EZ-start, truly 2-finger start and it actually works best if you pull it non-aggresively. I've ran two gallons of gas through it and its always two pulls when cold, one pull when warmed up.

I broke my right collarbone last year causing me aggravation when starting my 029 saw, I've been telling Santa about that mini-Boss saw myself. Give us an update if you score it please.

My Husky 365 has the decompression feature and it does make starting a little easier.

Now if only it had a weight reducing button to make my poor old back happy! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I don't have the chain saw or blower, but I do have a string trimmer with Stihl's "Easy Start" and I love it. My dealer called it a "Granny Start" but it works quite well for us old grandpas, too. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the replies. Since no one hates it, I am going to buy it this week. The only knock against Stihl is that they really protect their dealers. It is the EXACT same price everywhere. There is absolutely no discounting going on [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Also, the Stihl dealers are all "shops" in my area. That means they keep business hours, ie 7-5 weekdays. Guess what hours I work? That's right, the same. I will go on Saturday morning. Oh well... I am still excited.

It is pretty hard to go wrong with Stihl or Husqvarna equipment unless you just get the wrong thing for the job. Luckily my old 32 inch bar Husky starts fairly easy as it has no EZ start but has HEALTHY compression. Great stuff with tendonitis.

Do yourself a favor and consider some chainsaw chaps and a combo helmet. I got the Husky helmet with its attached ear muffs and a "Lawrence of Arabia" neck flap, and screen visor. IT is terrific. The flap keeps saw dust from going down the back of your neck. The ear muffs can be easily latched on or off the ear as needed. The raise/lower metal mesh visor keeps a lot of stuff out of your face and eyes. Of course the basic helmet is a hard hat for just in case.

My wife and I both have them and they are handy for when we feed the DR chipper. It frequently "burps" a chunk back out the input port as it finishes eating a big branch. Of course you don't intend to stand in front of the input port but... Anyway the mesh visor is a good thing. Best of luck with the new saw.

What the world needs is a chain loop that doesn't stretch so much when first placed into service, requiring frequent tightening.

Pat

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

We have a Stihl just like the one that you are looking at and we really like it. the Easy2start works very well. You just have to pull easy and then it takes off. I say real not gimmick.