Thread: Deep Pit BBQ, Construction Help

Deep Pit BBQ, Construction Help

I need help finding plans to build a deep pit BBQ. It seems strange that after a google search I cannot find what I am looking for. Does anybody have any ideas, resources, or thoughts for me to consider? Thank you in advance.

Re: Deep Pit BBQ, Construction Help

Check out Pit Barbeque plans Google.

From what I read they do not have to be in a pit and are easiest built above ground.

One site: web page

There are also some guide lines for procedures on Google.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Attached is a very ugly version of one I built many a year ago. It doubles as a regular barbeque, smoke house and would fulfill the requirements of a pit barbeque.

This is from Farm Journal's Country Cookbook 1959.
    "First dig your pit. Dig it deep, the size depending on the amount of meat you plan to barbecue. Here are some helpful figures: Make the pit 3 and a half feel deep and three feet wide for the large crowds. Same depth, one and a half feet wide by three feet long for small groups. You can cook as little as 10 pounds of beef in it, enough for about 25 people. A trench, same depth, 3 feet wide and 10 feet long will handle about 400 pounds of meat. For a general rule, allow about 3' of length for each 100 pounds. For more than 800 pounds of meat, it's better to dig a second trench."

The book goes on to describe how to construct the pit and cook in it. If you are interested, I'd be glad to send in a separate email, as there is quite a bit of text. I bought this book in a second-hand shop many years ago, and we always liked the " first dig your pit " statement. This is for a very old-fashioned pit, calling for a ton and a half of wood for a 10 foot pit, and includes directions for preparing the meat. Oh yes, also plan to cook the meat for 10-12 hours! Probably not quite what you are looking for, but it is such fun reading. Chris

lovethesticks,

Hey, I could use those plans. Give me a holler over at farmtractor8@aol.com with those plans when you get time. Thanks in advance.
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg