Thread: Cover Crop....In a Garden?

Cover Crop....In a Garden?

I have seen pictures of people planting a cover crop in their small gardens, and I think I may try it next season. Have ya'll got any suggestions on what to plant, when to plant, and how to shoot a big deer [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ? Thanks.
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

Re: Cover Crop....In a Garden?

I am curious? I would think that a cover crop would use up nutrients from the soil and that might effect the way your plants grow next year? Just asking

The cover crop helps feed the Big Deer, may help preventing wind erosion, may help retain moisture and is turned under as green manure the following spring. It may require the addition of nitrogen at a rate that is compatible with the amount of cover crop turned under.

Many people use winter rye for cover crop as it will begin crowing again in the spring.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Many common cover crops fix nitrogen. The clovers and several legumes are often used for this purpose. I have wanted to try such a cover crop but never managed to get one in at the appropriate time.

Chuck

Well, right now I don't have time to worry about this any more, since my dad just planted pine trees over my garden spot!!!!!!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

Once the pine trees get going, they should do a good job of keeping the weeds down. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]