Thread: Step Lighting Fixture HELP

Step Lighting Fixture HELP

I need help. I'm trying to find lighting fixtures for me steps on the front patio. I've got single gang, metal boxes mounted in the tread risers and conduit with pull cord going to each box. I can't find anything that seems to work. Obviously it has to be rated for outdoors, water, cold/hot, unintentional kicking, etc. I appreciate any suggestions. Low voltage or 110v is fine with me. I've got 12 of these to light...

Re: Step Lighting Fixture HELP

How about this one: Deck Light

Or you might start Here
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

The louvered fixture Gary referenced is like what I was to recommend. There are louvered panels about the size of the switchplate that would fit your boxes. The challenge is finding a socket and lamp to fit it that will fit inside of your box. You might have to go miniature socket instead of medium base (standard light bulb socket) to get a bulb and socket in the box.

Lights of America sells both fluorescent and white LED versions of a small undercounter lamp that might be able to be fitted into yoiur situation and then be covered with a louvered (not just slotted) cover. The LED version can be daisy chained up to nine lights in a chain. They come in singles or in three packs. The singles are $10 something at Wally World and the 3 packs are $20 something (way better deal.) I have bought and tested the LED 3 pack and will be getting a bunch more to use as undercabinet lighting and accent lights above some cabinets.

An inexpensive solution would be candelabra bases and low wattage candelabra base bulbs which should fit just fine in youir boxes. Lowe's and Home Depot (Despot?) usually has the stuff.

Hope this helps,

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Another idea might be to use the LED rope lights that are now available. Run them down the side of the stair stringers. You might need to construct a "shade" to keep the light directed where you want it.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Try this web site. Lots of choices for you. I put some in my stairs and they work great. Bought mine from Branch electric (no longer in business). But you can try this company. Good luck keep us posted.
    http://www.colelighting.com/prod_byc....htm#Steplites
    JIM

do a web search on Unique low voltage light; they have nice lights for stairs and decks, low voltage.