Thread: Generator motor problem

Generator motor problem

I have a 10kW genrator which has a Honda GX-610 18HP motor. I usually run it every two months... Sadly, I let it sit for 5 months, and just went to start it. The fuel had Stabil in it, so it was good, but I have a strange problem now. In order to keep the engine running, I have to have half choke, otherwise it dies if I turn off the choke. I replaced the fuel filter, and the air filter is clean. The generator sits in my garage, so its not exposed to the elements.

I find this problem strange since it has been fine for two years and never needed adjustment. Does it need to be tuned? Or is there something else wrong?

Thanks,

Joe

Re: Generator motor problem

I have same problem with a tiller and had string trimmer do same thing over winter.. It`s the gas and/or the carburator perhaps a little of both. Try changeing gas first. The gas made these days can go bad even with stabil. With mine the carb was partialy clogged with gas residue/varnish deposits. It`s easily fixed by takeing carb apart, be carefull with gaskets not to tear and cleaning well with B12 spray carb cleaner.A bread tie with plastic removed on one end works well to clean all the small holes.You can also get a carb kit with new gaskets and needle valve if wanted.

STABIL is good stuff but only increases the allowable fuel storage time, it soesn't make it last forever. The gas we get these days doesn't last as long untreated as gas once did. STABIL helps but if you read the fine print I think they only claim 6 months and that had better be with fresh gas.

Since you can start your engine you aren't totally pluygged up. Before I started looking for a wrench I'd empty and replace the fuel with just a little fresh fuel mixed with carb cleaner. Start the engine and spray some carb cleaner like Berrymans into everything visible with the air cleaner removed. Do this with no load on the generator. The spraying is a long shot but is easy to do. Run the engine not under load. If you run a significant quantity of cleaner enriched fuel through it there is a good chance you will remove enough of the gummy varnish kind of stuff from wherever it is that the engine will run norrmally. It might take a while for the chemical to clear the problem so don't worry if it isn't "fixed" in 5 min.

You are lucky that the engine starts as this gives you a chance to experience better living through chemistry and not require wrenches.

If the first chemical approach doesn't help then you can start conservatively by only accessing the internals of the carb the least required to let you stick the little red soda straw that comes wthh the spray can of cleaner into every place it looks like could be a passage for fuel. Wear eye protection aas it will get in your face! I have no problem with the twisty wire poking around either but find a good spray with cleaner using the little red tube can often do the deed.

Since your engine runs with the choke partly on but not with it off that sounds like fuel starvation from a restrictued fuel path. With the choke set to the least that will permit the engine to continue to run try to manually advance the throttle. If it runs up to good speed hold the throttle for a while to get the cleaner laced fuel moving through the carb better. If advancing the throttle kills the engine that is further proof of a fuel passage being blocked as killing an engine by advancing the throgttle is a classic symptom of fuel starvation.

Good luck.

Patrick [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Got the generator fixed today. Had to pull the carburator off... I looked inside and didn't notice much, but cleaned it anyway. Darned if that didn't fix it! It fired right up, sputtered for a second and then it was going strong with no choke. I pulled out the Hobart wire welder and loaded down the generator while I played with the welder. My wife thinks I am crazy since she asked why I was welding two pieces of rebar together. Anyway, it's running great now!

Thanks Rebelmedic and Pat!

Joe

Joe, Glad you got 'er goin'. !t Doesn't take much to cause a problem in those little passages in the carb. You were lucky it was just barely gummed up, probably due to your thinking to use STABIL Just don't count on STABIL to hold together the cheap crap that passes for gasoline these days for very long. The estimated time is on the STABIL lable (Neat rhyme, huh?) and it isn't a year, if memory serves.

What with the way they make gasoline with catylitic reformation of carbon chains and all...

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"