Thread: Horse bedding question

Horse bedding question

Anybody know if pelletized-size limestone packed down would be OK for a horse stall? Friend of mine said he'd worry about horse picking up small stones under the hoof and bedding into the tissue. I'm curious if anybody has used limestone and what success they've had.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Re: Horse bedding question

Not only the hoof issue but I would be concerned about the dust from limestone being inhaled over the long term.
    Gettin Back To My Country Roots

I know what 'pellet sized limestone' is (very small pieces of limestone) and I know what 'pelletized limestone' is (it's what you spread on a field to change the ph level), but not what 'pelletized-size limestone' is.

I wouldn't think it would be real comfortable on the horse. I mean, maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing...but still, that has got to hurt.
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

I'm assuming that that you are talking about crushed limestone. If it's small enough to be compacted well and leveled it will make a good stall floor. However, you will need to put stall mats on top of it and use shavings or something else that absorbs for bedding. If you're not going to put in stall mats, you might as well leave it dirt. Crushed stone flooring by itself will ruin their feet if they stay in the stall for any length of time.

Anything with small stones is bad. Their hooves will pack with it and a small piece will get thru the tender hoof floor. Best is blue clay: pack well, clay works as disinfectant and will resist their pacing. Other wise they will dig holes in it and soon in will fill with urine. Then they will lay in it. After a few days of digging, you may find one is not able to climb out of the hole. Then you have a PROBLEM. Clay, packed, and shavings for bedding. Also, remember some good advice I once got: Keeping the horses out of the barn will keep the Vet out of there, too. Barn should be for cold wet nights and hot, mosquito days (and nights). They will love you for this action.