Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hauling goats

Hauling goats

I raise Boer goats and with the rising fuel costs would like to start using my pickup truck rather than horse trailer to transport the goats. Does anyone know of any plans to build a livestock suitable stakebody(preferably wood) for an 8 foot bed? Or even pictures of their own versions would work. Another option is something like these: Billy Goat Gruff Gofer

But, I don't have 300 bucks to spend on one. I even considered making one out of cut up cattle panel but not sure how sturdy they would be. Do you guys have any ideas? Which style do you think is better, stakebody or portable cage?

Re: Hauling goats

I loaded a couple Dexter heifers from our stock trailer into the back of a pickup truck that a fellow had put a wood stake body on. I think he used 2x3 wood for the vertical pieces that go in the holes in the top of the truck side and 1x4 pieces across the sides. He also had some of the same type of wood across the top and a gate that just screwed in place all the way across the back of the box.

It looked pretty sturdy and I am sure it would work for goats as well.

There was a time " Stock Racks " as we called them were a common item for P/U's! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Note: They will increase wind drag and reduce milage.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

A picture of wooden ones.

A metal one.

I dunno the certainty of it, but I was once told that once you put a stakebody on a pickup, you have changed its status and now are subject to commercial vehicle regs, including the requirment to stop for scales and truck inspections.

Might be a good idea to check the regs in your state.

How about a used camper shell (topper, etc)? Most have windows for ventilation, they don't usually stick up higher than the cab and may improve mpg due to less drag. Put some hay in the back or something to keep them from bouncing around. It wouldn't have to be permanent. A used one may be cheaper than a Goat Gofer. Could be used to other things, too.
    ----------------------
    Rick

A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.

Now that is using your head for something besides a hat rack! Old camper shells can go pretty cheap and the uninsulated simple aluminum ones aren't too heavy. I used to load and unload mine by myself with no mechanical contrivances but the smart thing would be lifting eyes and some ropes or some such.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

<font color="blue"> Most have windows for ventilation, they don't usually stick up higher than the cab and may improve mpg due to less drag. </font color>

I've found a couple of MPG improvement, typically, on cross country hauls. This is on a Nissan 2WD.

As for lifting eyes and ropes, phooey! I just grab a handful of my boys and away we go! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You gotta remember some of us are gettin a little older and feebler.

I used to be able to handle my 8 ft. fiberglass shell that is taller than the cab all by myself with no problems.

Last time I tried that it was just nip and tuck and only happened cause of pride! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]