Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nova Scotia Seaside

Re: Nova Scotia Seaside

Evening Egon.
    Your pics are better than most postcards...sooo that's Nova Scotia winter. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thank you Thomas. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I still prefer my 1963 model Kodiak 35mm all manual camera to the newer ones I'm now using.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Picture of the Day:

Spindrift!

Egon

Egon,

I have a Kodak Retina IIIC that's still a great camera though I don't use it anymore. I have the lense adaptors and auxiliary viewfinder too. As well as a set of closeup lenses.

What's yours?
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, Look in some electronic hardware catalogs that have descriptionis of various connectors. One with funnelated entry makes for easier insertion of the plug due to the funnel like depression immediately surrounding the hole on the female connector. There are other uses of funnelated besides to indicate a funnel like shape or function in electronic hardware. See also orthopedic science and refs to funnelated trephine or a smaller instrument for use in corneal transplants.

I do make up words such as absobloominglutely or plaigerphrase (between plaigerising and paraphrasing) but funnelated is not of my origin. I just used it where it seemed appropriate such as the funnel shaped entry into the lobster trap.

You have better vision than I so, Gary, tell me where in the picture the concrete is located.

Patrick [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Come marnin I'll post a picture.

Back in the day of home built wooden dory anchors rocks were placed inside. The amount of rock varied as to weather conditions. In light airs less rock made it easier to haul anchor. The funellated things are to keep the rocks from rolling out in rough seas. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I've used rocks and chunks of concrete for anchors; just never put'em in a lobster trap or crab trap for that purpose. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Egon, I presume that they must have carried a supply of rocks to add to the "anchor" for when conditions got more severe. OK, but when conditions started out requiring a heavy anchor and then got milder, how did they get the rocks out of the anchor? With its "lobster trap" entry looks to me like it would have been a hassle.

They were fishermen, right. I thought something seemed FISHY about this. I like the stone anchors made from stones with holes in the middle for tieing on the rode. You can add and subtract easily and you don't have to "borrow" some poor lobsterman's trap and claim it is an anchor. At best, either rock anchor is a mediochre "lunch hook" and could be replaced with a small light Danforth styule anchor for better holding with lighter weight. Even a small folding grapnel is likely as good or better than a lobster trap with rocks in it. The grapnel can be easily tripped with a tripline which many are setup for by making them with a well located attachment point. A small buoy (scrap of cork or wood, painted white for visibility in poor conditioins) attached to the trip line keeps the line easily lotated and approximately marks the location of the anchor.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, we Be's poor people up here on the Atlantic shores. We'd make do with what be at hand. The dory men use small rocks so they can pull them out of the funnellated things by hand. The anchor is usually weighted with rocks to suit conditions of the day just before going to sea with also a few rocks carried as ballast in the dory. These rocks are thrown overboard as fish are brought into the dory.

Think of rock ballast on the ocean going square riggers of a bygone age.

The long chain rodes and scope required for the new fangled anchors gets in the way of fishing lines.

As previously stated. Pictures of the concrete weights on the Dory anchor.