Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tablesaw blade rubs against table

Tablesaw blade rubs against table

I bought a used DeWalt DW746 table saw and the blade is almost contacting the throat plate on one side (see first attachment). It is infeasible for me to bring the saw to a repair shop so I am hoping I can get some advice here.

It looks like there is about 1/4" clearance on one side of the blade, but only about 1/32" on the other. If I tilt the blade it will actually make contact with the throat plate. The trundle is directly attached to the tabletop, and there does not appear to be any play in that attachment. I cannot shift the whole trundle and motor over by a little.

The blade is sandwiched between an inner and outer "clamp washer" (see second attachment) - each about 1/8" thick and 3" in diameter. If I removed the inner clamp washer it would shift the blade enough to about center it in the throat plate. Would it be safe to do this?

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to adjust the saw to fix this?

Re: Tablesaw blade rubs against table

Second picture of the inner clamp washer.

Can you put the clamp washer on the other side of the blade to move the blade over?

Bob

Is it an original washer or has it been added as a blade stiffener?

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

That looks like it may be a extra washer the previous owner added. You can check to see if it is a added washer by useing the saw guide if it has measurements. Set the guide and measure distance to the blade. Some are off a little but it should be close enough for what you need to know. I`ll check my Craftsman in the morning,I do not remember it haveing a washer on backside of blade at all,only side by the nut.

I have one of the cheaper Craftsman table saws and, while it looks like the pictures of this DeWalt, it calls the two big washers an inner and outer "flange", but the DeWalt picture looks like 2 washers while my Craftsman just has one on each side of the blade. It appears to me that you just need to remove that one washer.

In reply to all the posts about the clamp washer, although it is not possible to see from the poor picture I posted, there are actually two of them that sandwich the blade. It is not clear from the manual whether there should be two or only one. They do refer to a "outer clamp washer", which to me implies there is an "inner" clamp washer, but the manual doesn't explicitly show two of them.

I will try removing the inner washer (leaving only one on the nut side of the blade, as rebelmedic points out.) If the blade flies off and hits me in the head I won't be updating this thread.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I removed the inner clamp washer, leaving the outer one (closer to the nut) in place. The blade did not fly off and it now looks centered in the throat plate. I don't know how it ended up the way it was but hopefully this is a stable solution.

Thanks for all the advice.

Glad it seems to have worked out OK. It does make me curious as to why the additional washer was there.

It may have been used as a blade stiffener.

Egon