Thread: Reforest?

Reforest?

I have 5 acres that my wife and I built our house on. I am working on keeping the front 3 pretty well groomed, but would like to take the 2 acres farthest in the back and do it with trees and meadow. I know this is sort of a small scale, but think the animals would appreciate this and it would be a good place to relax. Has anyone else done this or know where I can find info/asset help with this? I am located in NW Arkansas near the foothills of the Ozarks. Thanks for any help, and I am glad to be on this site.
    TSG Tony
    USAF 16 years

Re: Reforest?

Get cheap trees from the Ark Forestry Commission here:

Trees

$25 per 100, I own the champion White Oak they collect seed nuts from. The Baucum nursery where they're grown can be seen out my window from work, quality product. I just got a batch of Willow Oak that were top-notch.

I am getting ready to plant about 3700 trees and shrubs this year. Sort of rebuilding what once was. The local DNR and county conservation office are 2 excellent sources to check with. Up in MN the DNR will do land surveys and make recomendations and you could be eligible for some cost sharing through different resources and federal moneys afterward. Just a thought, I don't know how it works where you are at. Reforresting is one of the best uses for idle land. Congrats and good luck.
    steve

Check out the sister site to CBN, TBN (tractor by net) and PM Gemini. He is in NW Arkansas (Well I guess maybe west central) and he is a really nice guy and pretty knowledgeable all round.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"