Thread: Son's dog got me

Son\'s dog got me

Took the son's dog in today for his shots. This is a cute dog, part Pomeranian and part Rat Terrier, looks more like a Rat Terrier. Barks like crazy when someone comes to the door, but once they are in, somewhat timid.

Took him to our vet which was his first visit to this vet. Get inside and there are eight other dogs and he is acting quite timid, was actually afraid of the resident cat in the lobby.

Get him in the office for his shots, put him up on table and he really started acting scared of the Vet and his assistant, she was going to hold him and she said he was going to bite, I said no, he does not bite and as I was going to hold him, he snapped and got my hand. Not bad but the Vet thought he was bleeding as my blood from my hand got on his coat.

When we were back out to the pickup he was back to normal.

Does this dog need more socializing?

Re: Son\'s dog got me

If going to the vet is the only time he has ever bitten, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The vet will probably muzzle him from now on though.

Socializing a dog could never hurt... it fact it is recommended, if nothing else.. the dogs sake.

He even appears to be insecure and I'm not sure what causes some dogs to be insecure and timid. I could understand it if they'd been mistreated, but that often isn't the case. Maybe we've just been lucky, but our last dog, which appeared to be a purebred male rat terrier that we got from the animal shelter, and our current dog, a female chihuahua that we bought from a breeder, both bark when anyone comes to the door, but quit barking as soon as anyone comes in. However, instead of being timid, they've both been the exact opposite; jump on anyone trying to get them to play; love everyone and every thing.