Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Popcorn

Popcorn

I like plain popcorn with just salt on it.
    Years ago the guys and I would leave the bar and go to someone's house and play penny-anti poker all night on friday or saturday night. We always popped up a bunch of corn.
    Recently I bought a popper called Stircrazy for $26. at Wallyworld. It makes perfect popcorn! No old maids! I bought some corn that didn't pop up very well. Size was less than 1/2". I googled popcorn and there is a national info website.
    Long story longer it said if corn dosen't pop up very well add 1 tablespoon of water to a quart of raw corn in a closed container and roll around for 2 days. It works! It pops up bigger, so I added another tablespoon and even bigger. Now the corn is about 1" in size.
    I know it's not microwave, so I'm old fashion! But I thought someone else might find this useful.

Re: Popcorn

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Years ago the guys and I would leave the bar and go to someone's house and play penny-anti poker all night on friday or saturday night.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pass time I haven't engage in for many years, but used to sure enjoy.

As for the popcorn, that sounds interesting and I'd heard long ago that if it was too dry, it wouldn't pop as well, but as with many people, we just use the microwave popcorn now.

Add a drizzle of Cholula or Tapatio hot sauce, then sprinkle with garlic powder [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I too enjoy popcorn. In fact I consider it food.

But we do have a problem here. We tried several different hot air poppers but could get neither to work properly. We then switched to the micro wave variety but have since found out that it contains teflon. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I bought a hotair machine a while back. I popped about 3 batches and gave it to the little girl next door. They make lousy popcorn! And the salt won't stick.
    The Stircrazy makes it perfect everytime. It has a stir rod that moves the kernels until they pop.
    I found that most microwave popcorn upsets my stomch (sp?) the only one that didn't was Orville.

The moisture content of the corn has a big influence on popping. You can get too caried away with adding moisture and make the hull too soft and it will not hold enough pressure before it bursts and you don't get maximum volume. There is a "sweet spot" where volume is max. Less moisture and the yield is less. More water and the yield is less.

I have never tested the idea but suspect that yoiu don't want to mopisturize too large of a supply (beyond what you would consume soon) as the extra moisture promotes growth of both micro organisms and yo could sprount the corn.

Hey Egon, I like popcorn with Laura Scudders crunchy peanut butter as a topping. A tad messy but in the dark watching a movie, who will see you lick your fingers?

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

We tried new and different kinds of poping corn and all met with little success.

Sticky fingers would muck up the Library books I read while eating popcorn. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, I find ways to hold the book with one hand so as to leave a hand free for a Diet Coke and or popcorn or ...

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I never heard of popcorn containing teflon. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Orville does have good popcorn, but last year I stocked up on a pretty large quantity of "Trails End" boy scout microwave popcorn and I've been well satisfied with it. Of course it says there's 38 servings to the package . . . my wife and I eat a whole package as two servings anytime we pop it. There's even been a time or two when she didn't help me eat it, although the dog always gets a little bit, but we've never had any left over night or thrown any away. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I just recently found out about the Teflon. It may be mentioned on the fine print on the back.

What I was told there is Teflon sprayed on the inside of the bag which gets on the popcorn when it pop's.

Egon