Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Popcorn

Re: Popcorn

Alton Brown, Good Eats show on the Food Network, recently had a show about popcorn. Apparently it was a good breakfast food in Colonial Times. Bowl of poopcorn, milk and sugar. Yum Yum!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Egon, You have raised a valid concern that is a hazard for people in industry who are involved with the production of Teflon. We need to keep an eye on the unfolding story staying alert to any credible reports regarding problems with human or food to Teflon contact at temperatures well below 460F.

At the current time Teflon is used in internal medical devices such as replacement joints. There are well established and definitely non-trivial procedures in place that candidate items must make it past to be accepted for use internally such as heart valves and artificial knees, hips, etc. I woudl be surprised if the medical approval authorities and procedures missed a dangerous substance to be put into a persons body for an extended period of time (maybe decades.) It is possible so we will have to monitor the situation to be sure and be comfortable with our non-stick cookware.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat; the more I read about it leads to not the Teflon but the flavorings that go into the popcorn being hazardous to the factory workers if proper air management practices are not followed.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, I read about the workers breathing the flavor stuff too. I don't know about the process used to put Teflon on the bags. I don't know if that exposes the workers to the ingredients of Teflon making or just the Teflon itself. Also I don't know what the peak temperatures are on the bottom portion of the bag when being zapped in the microwave.

The paper bag does get fairly scorched and as we all learned fron Ray Bradbury's "Farhenheit 451", paper begins to burn at 451F which is getting close to the temp where Teflon emits Phosgene gas (about 460F.) I suspect that first use of a popcorn bag does not emit Phosgene and the temp doesn't get to 460F, partially ldue to the steam bath created in the bag by the popping kernels releasing moisture.

The bag has a warning on it to not reuse. I had originally thought that was due to a fire hazard or to promote not popping your own corn in their bag, thereby increasing their sales but that was speculation.

If first use emitted phosgene we'd likely have heard about it long before this. Maybe all the sensitiveand delicate pet birds like canaries would be dieing in homes that frequently used microwave popcorn. My best buddy in SOCAL (La Mesa) loves popcorn and has canaries. The birds seemed healthy in spite of all the microwave popcorn.

The press and many others just love sensationalism. An editor faced with the decision to title a piece something like "Food industry workers exposed to dangerous substances." or "KILLER POPCORN... Microwave popcorn ingredients subject of giant lawsuit, concerns for Teflon safety."

Which do you think would go to print?

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

If you get your hands on a Whirlypop cooker, they are beyond compare. I got mine from ebay along with the baby white Amish popcorn. Best I ever had.
    2008 F-250 V-10 Loaded
    2007 Lincoln LT grocery getter
    2007 Kubota RTV 900
    1996 Ford Bronco