Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grim table saw story.....good ending!

Re: Grim table saw story.....good ending!

Dave, Amen to the air powered finish nailer. I still mess stuff up but much less often than with a hammer. I got me a 23Ga pinner too and that sly devil slips a pin in before the wood knows your even getting serious.

I have a couple miter saws, uh 3 miter saws. a simple Craftsman, a really good compound Milwaukee and a terrific 12 inch compound sliding DeWalt. I have an ancient (probably the 50's) cast iron Craftsman 10 inch radial arm saw on a metal cabinet filled wth accessories for the saw, a Makita table saw on a stand, a Craftsman band saw, a Taiwan band saw, a couple (still running perfectly abrasive cutoff saws (and some that died, one spectacularly with 2 ft flames shooting out), HD worrn drive Skill, couple cheap skills (I don't do many estate sales so I do pawn shops) one Skill I bought new. Worm is 6 1/2 and the direct drives are 7 1/4. I have three running saber saws, one with the quick blade change. I have a 5 in one woodworking tool that does table saw but I only used it once as I just bought it to be a lathe. I am currently in the market for a cabinet saw or one of the new "crossover" cabinet/contractor blends and also a larger bandsaw, say 16-17 inch.

The slab under a shed roof on the side of my garage and shop gives me 21x48 ft space for tractor and implements (4 each 12 ft bays) with no enclosing doors on the low end of the roof. I left that side open to see how far the weather penetrated and how much I might want doors. Now into the second winter I know I want doors, 4 each sliding bypass over head track doors with lots of windows in the doors. I need at least half the space as an anex to my shop. The other half will hold the tractor and custom racks to store 3PH implements.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

That's a grand repertoire of tools Pat. You have more than I could fit in my "Large" workshop.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I have always wanted a worm drive power saw and have never been in the right place at the right time to buy one at a reasonable price. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I didn't know until a couple of years ago that the direct drive Skilsaws had GEARS in them! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] When I buy one at an auction now, I often tear it down and repack the gears with white grease. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We have two BOSTICH nailers, a trim nailer and a brad nailer....just absolutely love them; everything else gets drive screws. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I am also a 'drill junkie" and have every configuration imaginable, from little drills with BIG chucks on them to vari speed, to single speeders with 90 degree attachments, to D-handle, to massive hoggers, and one rotary SDS hammer drill. Most of the drills are fugitives from auction sales, but not all. We have two cordless Makitas and they share a 90 degree chuck-up attachment with a two-to-one down ratio and an oversized chuck on it to hold the Morse hole saws. Nothing gets to be junk and just recently I scrapped a little 1/4" drill but not before I removed the final drive shaft and chuck which makes a dandy, get-in-there extension...or a way of chucking a bit too teeny for the chuck in a BIG drill. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Egon, The other part of the story is that one of the band saws is inop because I dropped a part on the floor and the chintzy casting broke so it is down till I make a replacement (or get a new bandsaw.) The working bandsaw (Craftsman) cost me $50 and is sort of just good enough to do some stuff but I don't know squat about bandsaws so it is likely in need of a tune up. If/when I get a new bandsaw then at least one of the old used ones needs to go. I'm trying to talk myself into getting rid of the Craftsman plain Jane mitersaw but it is so small and light that tossing it in the truck or whatever is attractive for "away" tasks.

This was no wnere near the full repertoire of tools, just those that were power saws. Oh, and there is a Milwaukee recip saw and a Rotozip. I have a dead elcheapo table saw that the repair shop said I coild replace cheaper than repair. I just kept it to use the plastic body and metal top for something else someday...

IF I weren't avoiding giant expenses There is a band saw made with an accessory to let it doiuble as a band mill but it is pricey. I have just about talked myself out of gwetting a band mill, opting to take my logs to someone else who cuts on the halves.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

You know, we should all post pictures of our tools. A nice line up of the portable ones and then the stationary ones. After this they should all be transferred onto disk and placed in a safety deposit box along with a list of serial numbers.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] That's a darn good idea egon. Since moving to the Midwest I have kind of realxed.....way too much....about tool thefts because the illegal Mexican population here has yet to finish growing out the progeny that will become the next generation of thieves, along the same lines as their countrymen in California. We are about two years away; the high school age illegals are now staging to take that role in just another year, two at the outside. Ive been cleaned out....twice...in California, both times it was my service truck....over 3,000 dollars worth of tools each time. I began marking my tools with an engraver and the marks said: STOLEN FROM D. MELLO...not for sale...ever. I also installed home-built burglar alarms on all the trucks; alarms which paid dividends FOUR....count them....FOUR times. Tool theft in CA is absolutely rampant. You cannot park a pickup at a restaurant even for five minutes with anything in the back. We have a nice, big fireproof safe right here at home and we should be doing the photo thing and recording the #'s. I've defintely been careless since moving out here in cornville. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    CJDave