Thread: Free time

Free time

I have been sitting in my comfortable black chair cogitating. The though of all the labour saving tools available came to mind. Then I started thinking about all the time these tools saved me when doing projects. At this point a dim bulb slowing stated spreading light on the subject and a conclusion was reached.

A myriad of tools is very detrimental to a relaxed lifestyle.

Instead of sitting on the back stoop chawing baccy, sipping whatever and remaking the world with good friends one is feverishly running from one tool related project to the next. Usually this activity take's place from "Can see to Can't see"

Quality of life should be reevaluated!

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Free time

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I'm kinda seein' what you mean about all these tools. It used to be that I would not even attempt some of what are now one-day projects; and if I did, what is a one-day project now would be stretched over several weeks as I went from hot to cold and then hot and then........ about working on it. The EXPECTATIONS were such that cranking out a massive amount of woodwork in a very short time didn't even occur to me. That kind of effort was reserved for hauling hay or digging postholes, or cleaning out irrigation ditches with a shovel before we had backhoes. Of course we always had metalworking tools, and even had some really good stuff like portable grinders, so we regarded shopwork in iron as a integral part of farmin'. WOODWORK on the other hand, was supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable; becoming one with the block plane so to speak. So maybe we HAVE become too mechanized and may have, sadly, replaced that much needed relaxation-in-wood with the "intense mechanical presence" of power tools. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave