Thread: Planting in Central Texas

Planting in Central Texas

I've been raising goats for the past 7 years. Now I want to plant some grass for them to browse. My initial thoughts are to plant Coastal Bermuda. That is the kind of hay I feed them in the winter to supplement their feed and they seem to like it.
    I have about 5 acres spread over my 40 that I consider tillable. At least the topsoil is more that 1 inch deep.
    Having never done this before, I am coming to the forum for advise.
    You can see the implements I already own, should I add a tandem disk or a spring tooth cultivator?
    Based upon your knowledge and experience am I wrong in both areas? If so, what do you recommend?
    AbO 2012

Re: Planting in Central Texas

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You can see the implements I already own

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I overlooking something. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I don't see anything about what implements your own. And how do you intend to plant that coastal? It's normally sprigged with some special equipment. I don't know who does that in your area, nor whether they'd do it for a small area such as 5 acres. From what little I saw of the sprigging operation in the past, I would think disking before hand would be sufficient. And of course, if you have it sprigged, it must rain within the next few days or you will have wasted your money.

Re: Planting in Central Texas

I have hay grazer planted in the spring and oats in the fall. My goats love it. I just scratch the soil and broadcast the seat. If you have something to drag over the seed (like an old gate or even a cattle panel) to cover it lightly that would be helpful.
    ----------------------
    Rick

A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.