Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire chains

Tire chains

I have had a set of 4 ling vbar ladder chains for my tractor. The ride was less than pleasant on hard ground. I was told to add diagonal links and this would make for a better ride.

This I did and it works. Pic. attached.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Tire chains

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] A simple, but amazing fix! Truly the 98-cent solution. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I saw some chains with a diamond pattern on one of the off-road internet pages recently, the idea was that they ran smoother on hard surfaces. They were, as I recall, quite pricey. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

It did cost a touch more than .98 cents and the idea was definetly not mine which may be fortunate as the solution works well. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Today I'll install a set of two ladder purchased for the front tires. " Snow beware "

Egon

Hey, we're supposed to get some snow tonight and tomorrow here in the Midwest. Glad I bought the chains for all four wheels on my tractor.

I'd be even gladder if they were actually on the tractor instead of in two boxes on the floor of the garage! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I think I can visualize what the term: "ladder" refers to, but what is a "two-Ladder" chain? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Two ladder chains have cross chains every two side links rather than perhaps every four side links. More cross chains equal "smoother" ride and more traction.
    Gary

Major issue with my chains! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

They don't clear the attachment point for the turnbuckle that adjusts the draft arms. I jacked up the back of the tractor last night and got one of the chains on the tire and somewhat snug. I discovered that the attachment link that secures the cross chain to the side chains has a major clearance issue. I'd also need to remove about 18" of excess side chain, but that's not a problem.

So I have no rear chains I can use. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I think the ladder chains for the front will fit, but I figured I need them on the rear more.

I could put the chains on and remove the rear blade so I could ride around, but that's not productive at all.

When the weather's better I'm going to see if I can put the implement pins to the inside. That will allow me to move the draft arms further from the tires.
    Gary

I just purchased a set of chains for the front of my tractor. I found that they needed a complete rebuild before they fit. One is on. The other still awaits my tender ministrations.

Any chance you can move the tires out Gary?

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I don't think so. They look like the dished part of the wheel is already to the inside. I'll have to take another look tonight.
    Gary

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There should be at least four stages of width adjustment on the rear wheels of a tractor IF.....the center section is removable from the outer rim. So it would be dish-in with center bolted on the outside of the rim attachments, then dish-in with the center bolted to the inside of the rim attachments, then dish-out with the center bolted to the outside ot the rim attachments and then finally dish-out with the center bolted to the inside of the rim attachments. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave