Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is all the cold and snow stories?

Where is all the cold and snow stories?

I'll start it out, it only got up to 77* here today (Jacksonville Fl). It's starting to rain and it will only get in the 60's tomorrow. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Where is all the cold and snow stories?

OK, it is -18*C here today no warmer tomorrow. Major snow squalls last week and could not get to the office for 3 days. If I stood in my yard right now the snow would be waist high.

Jim

Got down to 20F last night and we got a very light dusting of snow. It rained very lightly for a few hours yesterday with temps in 40's.

We are just hoping this precip and temps don't combine to make for another ice storm.

Even with above freezing temps the wind chill dissuades me from some outside tasks. I think I bent a rim on the trailer load of big cedar logs by hitting something with the one wheel. It wobbles a tad. Don't feel like unloading the logs on the ground, jacking the trailer up and fussing with it because what little dexterity I have goes away mostly if I wear gloves.

Since the last snow we had even hit 70F briefly but the last of the snow and ice on the north side of the roof hadn't quite all melted but the ice on the sidewalk on the north side of my shop got melted enough thtI could use a HD scraper to get it off. At its worst it was so thick and strong it was nearly impossible to remove, even with a big heavy solid steel digging bar. After my wife saw some pockmarks in the concrete I got permission to let it stay a while.

About the picture... If you have sharp eyes you can see my gate and post box near top of picture Then the drive comes downhill over a dam not easily made out and turns right and comes across the cattle guard to the right in the picture and then turns left to parallel the front of the house before looping around and coming back to where I stood to take the picture (actually shot from inside tractor with heat on in the cab.) The mid ground of the picture is a seasonal creek with a series of ponds along it.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Here are some 5-600 lb Angus calves with the house in the background.

When the wind chill or temp goes below freezing or there is cold rain I feed every day as calorie requirements for the stock go up. These cattle are pretty neutral thermally from about 30F to 70F. Below 30 or equivalent there is a fair increase in calorie requirements and above 70 they need more water and shade is a good thing.

Earlier this winter I saw these calves with considerable snow and ice layered on their backs but they weren't stressed.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The pond, just visible, wasn't frozen yet. It seems they take turns freezing and thawing Even with temps in the 20's the most freezing of any of the ponds now is just a fringe where protected.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

This is one of the smaller ponds and in this shot is frozen except for just a little bit. Ice not thick enough to warrant breaking some of it to let the stock drink as even the smallest of the calves (about 450 lbs) can break it up to about 3/8 inch or more, easily. If it gets too hard to break they may walk ouit on it and break through a thin spot. They wouldn't last long in the cold water before giving in to hypothermia and exhaustion so I have to keep an eye out.

In this shot you can see a lot of ice in the trees and on the taller grass. This was after on of the ice storms that put thousands of folks out of power. We lost power for about 1/2 of a second, that I noticed.

In between cold spells I got out in the woods with a buddy and we cut some cedar trees to mill for trim lumber. Can't tell too good in the picture but the largest of these is well over 2 ft in diameter.

The floor covering store owner who came to measure for carpet (goes under the pool table in basement and upstairs in the loft) said he has a reasonable number of fair size cedars I can have so weather permitting when we finish up on my buddy's place I can get more from the carpet guy who is the brother of the guy who made my trailer.

When it isn't so windy I need to changte the right rear wheel which is bent, I think.

This is a picture looking over the circular drive (behind garage and shop portion) into some trees which are ice coated.

The ice from this ice storm left remnants on our roof through periods of temps up to low 70's and before it could all melt it got cold again.

The only real bad news is we got ice dams which briefly put water where it wasn't supposed to be, like dripping in middle of tractor shed, wetting the kitchen ceiling, wetting an upstairs closet floor.

I will be looking into any amelioration that is provident.

My wife is an OK driver but doesn't do ice so that is a minor nit.

Patrick [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Nice lumber to be.

I was out at the farm cutting some firewood but it was so darned cold the picture froze.

Tomorrow we are expecting rain. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]