Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Dakota

North Dakota

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/070217/K021702AU.html

I passed through this place in Jan./ 69 as a blizzard was raging across the countryside.

It's not far from Minot is it? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: North Dakota

Egon, Minot is way closer to Canada than Bismark Mandan area but the inhabitants are just about as crazy.

Hey Lars, how's yours? Mines fine Oly, how's yours? Well I got to get on down to the Sons of Norway Hall, I promised to fire up the stove ahead of the meeting where this week we will be in for a real treat. Sven is going to show us his slides from his ice fishing derby and then Mable Lundqvist will play the tape she bought when she went on down to Minneapolis to the Prairie Home Companion show and got Garrison Keeler's autograph.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Sounds just like a movie I saw that was based in the same area. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] "Yaw"

Egon, You refer to "Fargo" which I really liked. It sure brought back lots of memories since Minot is a lot like the Fargo area just MORE SO!

Even the sound of dry snow scrunching under their feet was well done.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

That dry crunch sent shivers up my spine just thinking of the cold. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Well lad, cold shiver, eh? Well wipe the starch off your feet and come over here by the crackling cellophane and warm up.

If you are a fan of old time radio you will understand.

By the way, how deep does the snow get around your house? When we were in a Government supplied house (single story on foundation with crawl space) at Minot AFB we would get drifts with a crust that would support me to walk on them and they would get deep enough that I could walk up a drift onto the roof of the house.

Snow depth depends on the storms intensity and wind direction. Somewhere I have a photo of the backyard showing a drift where two cars were parked but not visible.

Back in Alberta I can remember roads drifted in to the top of the telephone poles yet some fields were almost bare.

Right now we are having the coldest weather of the year. -4F and no relief in sight.

It's book time.

Hey Egon, time to break out your shorts! After tonight's -25C (-5F), Sunday's forecast is +10C (50F), just for a change! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

Hey NS, I' m being real conservative in my thinking now. Last week on the drive home from the beach I mentioned something about " Spring is Here " only to find the real winter had yet not occurred. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My Grandmother came from Yankton SD; Great Grandparents moved there from the old country in 1880 or so. Grandma and my great Uncles talked of tying a rope from the house to the barn so you could go tend animals. The snow would get very deep, and during a strom would be a total white out; you could get 20' from the house and be totally lost. Apparently this happened too frequently; Pa or Junior would go to feed the animals, never to be seen again until things thawed enough to find the body.

Grandma also talked of how a school teacher sent grade school kids home as a storm was approaching; lost a couple of them to the blizzard. School teacher went crazy afterwards.

It makes you wonder, how did Native American's weather out these conditions? Living in a tent in these condition in many cases... For history predating European arrivals.