Thread: Bridge

Bridge

I have a small stream that crosses my property. I need to builid a bridge. The span would be aprox 28 feet. I would like it to be strong enough to drive a pickup over. But I may have to be satisfied with a foot bridge. I thought about 3 steel I beams. decked with pressure treated stock. I need to do this on a reasonable budget. Any Ideas??

Katrinaville LA west of Westwego east of Ama south of River Ridge north of Boutte, above sea level

Re: Bridge

Try to find an old 18 wheeler flatbed trailer, minus the wheels and gear and use that.

A golf course near me has a bridge made from a railroad flatcar. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Thanks for the Ideas,

I've been wanting to do the same thing myself. I thought about using the frame of a 12 to 14 wide moble home frame

Check carefully. I don't think a mobile home frame would be strong enough to handle much of a load for a bridge. Part of their strength comes from the framing of the house that's built onto them. I've actually seen one mobile home that broke in the middle, over the axles, and had the back end hanging down on the ground. And I've heard of several others doing the same thing.

A friend of mine used mobile home frames for his main steel source and catwalk decking salvaged from a refinery being torn down for the deck and added diamond plate strips where the tires make contact. He has 18 wheelers come over it empty and leave filled with stock. So far so good.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"