Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevrolet gas pedal

Chevrolet gas pedal

I have a 5.3L 2000 Chevrolet Z71 and the gas pedal somtimes sticks. Could anyone tell me why? What would solve thise problem? Thanks!

Re: Chevrolet gas pedal

Broken motor mount can cause that symptom. Don't know much about Chevy trucks but it sure got my attention in my Jeep a couple times before I figured it out.

Check out the mechanical connections to the carb for possibilities of sticking. If there is a cable involved that may be the problem.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I assume you are talking about the pedal sticking in the idle position? You have to really mash it and then when it unsticks you end up slinging gravel everywhere? I have had this problem on every late model gas Chevy I've owned. Carbon (or something) builds up around the butterfly valve in the intake plenum. I removed the intake tube from the air filter and cleaned it out w/ some carb cleaner and rags. Sometimes it is a permanent fix, sometimes it builds back up. My sister's 99 p/u kept building back up so she took it to the local dealer. Apparently there is a little plastic insert Chevy has developed to solve the issue. I don't remember what that little piece of plastic cost, but basically it keeps the valve from closing all the way and sticking.

Hudr is right on. I have to do that with mine every now and then. Usully doesn't take too long. When mine was new they tried to tell me I need some expensive cleaning, but they would do it free this time. They did and burnt the EGR valve up so the truck wouldn't run at all.

On a side note, the other thing that seems to help is if you can get somewhere were you can full throttle it, it seems to relieve the problem for awhile. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I however would never do this. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Egon, you are so funny. A carb. Haven't seen carb on a street vehicle in quite a few years. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Yep yep that is exactly the problem most of the time asumming the cable is not binding somewhere. i like to polish the butterfly with a small piece of wetdry sand paper that seems to help also. be sure to wipe any grit out before you start it.

"Carb" <font color="blue"> </font color>

Probably because the last time I had this problem with a throttle there was a carburetor involved. Since then I look at cable ends and make sure they are clean and work properly. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It's a pity you young fellows never had the chance to disassemble a nice four barrel and put it back together with no spare parts. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And have the experience of the two extra barrels kicking in on one of the old big block high compression engines that had well over 400 ft.pounds of torque at under 3000 rpm. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Didn't say that I had disassembled and driven one. Dad had a '78 Chevy Pick-up 4wd drive. Had a 350 w/ a 4-bolt main and a Holley 650 Double Pumper Carb. That truck would litteraly squeal all 4 tires off the line. I remember one time we were cutting a tree down. We had tied it off to the truck. Dad thought he had it cut all the way through and told me to go. I start pulling about that time all 4 tires broke loose on pavement. Those big tires started squealing and tire smoke started rolling. I couldn't figure out how to back out of the throttle w/o a sudden jerk and breaking something. Finally was able to get eased out of it enough to get it to stop spinning. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for the info...I had been told it had something to do with carbon build up. The worst time it does it is when you start off from a dead stop...you have to hit it sorta hard to break it loose and you do sling gravel!! LOL When the weather permits...I will take the breather off the air filter and clean the intake butterfly out. Thanks!

do you know where i might get the plastic insert without going to the dealer? thanks