I have been intending to build some feed troughs out of plastic 55 gal drums but couldn't decide on a design.

Today I did.

I split a drum in half, lengthwise longways with a skill saw. It cuts easily so I did it to a second drum. I then split another drum in thirds lengthwise. I measured the circumference and marked the 1/3 points. There is a visible seam to use for a starting point. Next I cut some scrap pressure treat 2x4 into 20 inch lengths. It takes 2 pieces of wood per feeder. It takes 4 bolts to fasten each piece of wood.

The drum half is a base. The drum 1/3 is a trough. The base is concave downward and the trough, of course, is concave upward. The 2x4 goes at each end with two bolts into each piece of drum. You don't want the board to touch the ground as it will wick water and promote deterioration. I used fender washers against the plastic and regular washers against the 2x4. I used 1/4 inch bolts.

I pay $6 per 55 gal drum. They are about 1/4 inch thick plastic and very UV resistant. You could use drum halves for troughs but the capacity is excessive. If you prefer you can use steel at the ends in place of the pressure treat. I had the scrap pressure treat and reserve steel for other uses.

Considering the bolts, nuts, washers boards, drums, wear on the saw blade, electricity, and on and on I still can't imagine the cost per feeder running much over $10 each. I built three in about an hour or so, rinsed them out and put them to use. The heifers liked then just fine.

OH, I trimmed the "pointy" ends of the troughs nearly flush with the 2x4 so no one would "poke an eye out."

Next I need to come up with a system for filling the troughs faster so the more aggressive animals don't eat twice as much as the smaller or more timid ones. 11 of the "girls" are about a year old and 8 are 6-7 months older and pregnant.

The little year old bull is in a "target rich environment" but is several months away from being old enough to do anything about it.

If anyone wants pix just ask. I built and deployed these so fast I forgot to take snaps.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]