Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glooscap Land

Glooscap Land

Today we made a drive over to the other side of the Province.

A few pic. of the Fundy side.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Glooscap Land

Beached Boats!

Beach Ice.

Egon,

Sure glad you got that digital camera!

I was at the Bay of Fundy a few years back. OK, maybe 20 years, but it was really neat to be able to walk down some stairs and walk on the bottom of the bay. I'll admit I was a little nervious about the tide comming in suddenly and trapping us. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] This was near Alma at the National Park.

I recall reading articles in National Geographic years ago where the folks would set up nets on poles while the tide was out. When the tide came in, fish would get caught in the nets. Then when the tide went out again they'd go out in wagons and harvet their catch.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Egon, I don't know where that is, but when I saw the "beached boats" I assumed it's a place with pretty high tides and that they're only "beached" because the tide was out. I saw something similar years ago at Seldovia, Alaska. In fact they had some concrete "cradles?" so you could park a boat where it would be left sitting high and dry so you could work on the bottom, the rudder, props, etc. at low tide.

The Bay of Fundy lies on the north side of Nova Scotia and the south or east shores of Maine and New Brunswick.

The tides can reach almost 50 feet.

The attached site shows Cape Blomidon near where the pictures were taken.

http://visual.beige.org/novascotia/c...don-2.jpg.html

Wow, Egon. Those are great photos on the website. And to think you just got that digital camera a short while ago! [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Jass; the photo quality leaves a little to be desired. Colour and contrast have not been mastered yet.

My biggest problem with the camera is seeing the picture as it has no view finder only a screen on the back. In sunlight this screen becomes very hard to see.

Then there is also the fact that many features of the camera are not fully utilized as the screen is so difficult to see in daylight and it's easiest to just use auto, point and click!

Gary; having sat around cogitating for a few days it comes to mind I actually saw some of the nets you mentioned. I believe they were on the Maine shores of The Bay of Fundy.

Re: "My biggest problem with the camera is seeing the picture as it has no view finder only a screen on the back. In sunlight this screen becomes very hard to see. " Egon, I got an idea for you: you make one of those black hoods to attach to the back of your camera, like the old-timey cameras had. You know, the long-exposure type, that you couldn't let light into the back. Hmmm, then again, if you were walking around with a black hood over your head you could wind up causing other problems for yourself.