Thread: Solar Powered lighting for barn

Solar Powered lighting for barn

I am building a barn that will not have AC power. I am interested in using solar power. All I need is an overhead indoor light. I just need it when I want to "find" something in the barn.
    Does anyone have a solar/battery lighting system and can recommend a kit/system?

thanx

Re: Solar Powered lighting for barn

I'll endorse this kit, I bought one last year for my tractor shed. I can usually get 6 hours service from it but it often takes a couple days to fully recharge after extended use. At an hour of use a day it can easily keep up.

Light my Shed

That looks like EXACTLY what I want. How much light does that lamp produce?

Thanks!

You also could get a 12v battery and run 12v lighting with a solar triclke charger

http://www.siliconsolar.com/solar-security-lights.php

Look at that site, one of many. They have some good but not expensive solar powered lights with motion detectors. You could remote the solar panel from the motion detector and light. Whenever you go in your building if it is dark the light will come on and if it isn't dark it won't. They had one for $75 that I though was a candidate.

Alternatively you could get a white LED lamp or flashlight to hang by the door to use when you go in and it is dark. They are very easy on batteries and you can use rechargeable batts.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

harbor fright has a 45 watt system,it comes with 2 ,5 watt lights and a controller,so it wont over charge your battery,the lights are pretty bright.and the controller has a cigarett lighter plug, it has 3 solar panels.it cost me 149.99 but it had everything i needed .all i had to buy was a deep cycle battery .the battery cost about 85.00at wal-mart, the 45 watt system usually cost249.99 but i got a coupon on line for 100.00 off,i use my lights in my house,i bought a inverter 2500 watter wired it to my battery and i have lights,or tv,and if i had more batteries i could run my microwave,i can run it now but i can only cook a hotdog or a pack of noodles.i play my stereo off of it .i run a exention cord to our garage,so we can do stuff out there if we want to.it's the greatest little outfit i've found.anyway check it out at harbor freight,good luck.

We moved in two winters ago and had a fairly dark barn. I wanted to go solar and found "Shed Solar Lights" at Home Hardware for 24.99Cdn
    I put the little solar panels ( 7" x 7" ) outside on the south facing wall of the barn. We've been using them ever since and they work great. If we accidentally leave them on during the day they have still been on 10 hours later! They are not very bright but you can safely move around and find (large) things. They have never failed to charge, even on a dark Canadian winter day.

What a great way to get some light into a barn! We have a shed that does not have electrical power to it. These suggestions could very well be applied to my shed situation. Excellent information!

Hi,
    I live in Aberdeen. I bought the kit last month from a website. I got it at a pretty reasonable price. It gives 6-7 hours of service. Try finding it online.
    Cheers!!!
    For beautiful garden lights click:outdoor lighting and garden lighting