Thread: Scales for weighing cows

Scales for weighing cows

Looking for a scale to weigh cows on. One that fits under a squeeze chute. I'd like your opinion on these two on ebay:

Item #330097558632
    Item #110102954661

Or if you know of any others available anywhere. I don't even know websites or where to look for a scale.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear

Re: Scales for weighing cows

Those scales are pretty standard and are similar to what is used at many sale barns. I don't know anyone who owns a set for personal use due to price, mostly.

If you are handy at tinkering you should be able to get hold of some load cells and DIY for a much better price. The basic science is pretty simple and there are lots of used parts available.

Believe it or else... I have seen folks use multiple electronic readout bathroom scales. You just add the multiple readings. The trick is reading all the scales at the same time as animals don't stand still. If I did that I'd remote the readouts and place them close together where I could take a digital snapshot of them all at the same time.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I'm asking about scales for a friend/neighbor that raises cows.
    Right now he has to load up his cows and take them across the valley to someone that has a scale to weigh them. Then bring them back. Be a lot easier if he had his own set of scales. So he is looking for some.

I understand the concept of using digital bathroom scales or the like but I don't think he would go for that. Good idea tho.

I heard back from both Ebayers after emailing them.
    One said his scale was "is made in China using industry standard components. This means that any scale dealer in the Country has access to parts and can service the scale if needed."
    The other one said his scale was a Triner scale.
    I'll try looking up Triner in Google to see if I can get any info.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear

I don't know if this helps but here are three sites that have scales for chutes. For-most.com, Scale-mart.com and Morganlivestockequipment.com. jdc40

Anyone ever hear of Triner Scales?
    Triner Scales

That is the one with the buy it now option for $695.

Pooh Bear