Thread: Garden fence

Garden fence

I put up 6 foot poutry wire for my garden fence last year to keep all the critters out and it worked well. After almost a year of being pushed on by cows, the post are leaning pretty good and the fence is loose all around. I'm going to re-set the whole fence. So here's my question. What's the best way to stretch poultry wire so that it's nice and tight between post? Anybody have sage advice? I can sure use it.
    Thanks,
    Dusty

Re: Garden fence

Clamp or fasten it to a full height 2x4 and then put a wire stretcher or come along on the 2x4. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You can put nails in the 2x4 for each intersection of wire. You can wrap around a pipe but you have to really secure the fence to the pipe or it will come loose when you stretch it.

If you want it really tight, I suggest using two 2x4 with fence between. You put 1/4 inch (or so) bolts through both 2x4 at appropriate locations to match the fence wire configuration. Wing nuts make it easy as does drilling oversize holes in the 2x4's. This last method works really well but is a hassle if you only want to make a couple stretches. If you are going to be into poultry for an extended period then it is probably worth it to you as you'll need it each time you want to do a poultry fence.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Okay [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Just as long as the width/height of the wire is constrained so a stretcher of availability can be applied.

Sort of like like stretching Page Wire. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]